IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Rather like shareware, isn't it?
Hi,

It seems to me that you're proposing something very much like shareware in the software world. If you like a developer's product, you pay for it to encourage further development, etc. It's a good system for many, and one that doesn't work for many more.

There are a couple of issues, I think:

1) How does the author get exposure? Good marketing (even if by the web) is difficult and not cheap. The author has to find a way to find buyers.

2) How does the author control unauthorized copies? It's a very difficult problem and one that kills much good shareware.

Self-distribution works in small niches. For mass exposure, there generally has to be some middleman because there's no way of knowing which new author will be successful. Someone has to pay for the marketing, so the cost has to be higher than if things were done by an individual.

An alternative is something like a not-for-profit cooperative or union or something similar. Like-minded authors would join together to fund a marketing system and gain the benefits of the exposure. But setting up something like this, and running it well is difficult.

As always, TANSTAAFL. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Not at all.
All money up front. After that - no control.

A way to get exposure, I'd guess, is to start publishing something for free. People will learn your name, maybe get addicted to your music, or prose, or something. And then - TANSTAAFL.

I am betting on 2 facts: there are people who would create no matter what (those people are the best creators anyway). And there are peoploe who would pay to get what they want sooner, w/o thinking who else gets the benefit.
We have only 2 things to worry about: That things will never get back to normal, and that they already have.
     Alternative to copyright as we know it - (Arkadiy) - (16)
         Stephen King tried it - (drewk) - (6)
             Exactly why I am suggesting my way - (Arkadiy) - (5)
                 That is exactly what Stephen King tried - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                     Well... - (cwbrenn) - (3)
                         Not quite destroying. - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                             Ok, not quite - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                                 I'd say it's the other way around... - (Arkadiy)
         If it would work . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
             "No Internet sales" clauses are doomed to fail - (ben_tilly)
             The reason that King's experiment "failed"... - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                 That *is* a loopy requirement - (drewk)
                 Yes and no . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                     Another way to do it - (drewk)
                     Why can't the author say... - (Arkadiy)
         Rather like shareware, isn't it? - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Not at all. - (Arkadiy)

Those Pacific Island natives that have never met an outsider, and don't know about the outside world at all called. They said, "No shit, Sherlock."
48 ms