IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Gelato != ice cream
If you've ever had American ice cream and Italian gelato, you would know that they're most definitely *NOT* the same. Gelato is muuuch creamier and smoother than about 99% of any American ice creams that I've ever tasted. Especially the general-consumption stuff that you'll find in your supermarket over here for $4.00 a half gallon.

-YendorMike
In order to understand recursion, one must understand recursion.
New As always, the difference boils down to semantics.
The way we (at least Northern and non-British) Europeans use the expression "ice cream", it refers to both creamy smooth Italian gelato AND, uh, ice cream (however non-creamy and un-smooth) from all other countries, including the U. S. of A.
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Gelato = ice cream in Italian
In Italian, "gelato" does just mean ice cream, and as I recall, it's definitely possible to buy some not very good ice cream there. We used to get a deal on big buckets of a certain brand of ice cream from a family friend who was a sales rep... definitely quantity over quality. But I'll hand it to you that your average italian gelateria will have some pretty delectable flavors.

In English, it has become SOP to use a generic foreign word to denote (and add cachet to) a specific, usually overpriced, foreign-style item. ("Biscotti" just means cookies, "latte" means milk--it's slightly ridiculous.) When I used to order a "double espresso" at Starbucks, they always corrected me--it's "Doppio" (Dopey-oh) to them. If they must use a Disney character to represent their double espresso, they should have the couth to choose a less insulting one.

Make mine a Grumpy-oh.

Giovanni
New Ice Cream, ice cream and Ice cream.
What passes for "ice cream" in the English speaking world has often been "ice confection" which is a good approximation. I don't know the difference, but I suspect it has something to do with the quantity of milk in the making.

However, when I was learning Italian at school, my teacher - who had spent quite some time in Italy - said that although "gelato" is Italian for "ice cream", it is actually made substantially differently and is therefore a somewhat different product. Thus the reason for the original borrowing of the term from Italian to English. It is likely that this may no longer be the case.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

Recipe review - (pwhysall) - (26)
         Re: Recipe review - (CRConrad) - (14)
             Hmmm... - (Yendor) - (7)
                 I think you're missing the point here... - (CRConrad) - (6)
                     Serving with ice cream... would make them... - (admin) - (1)
                         gr\ufffdde, perhaps?_________or Argentina? -NT - (ashton2)
                     Gelato != ice cream - (Yendor) - (3)
                         As always, the difference boils down to semantics. - (CRConrad)
                         Gelato = ice cream in Italian - (GBert) - (1)
                             Ice Cream, ice cream and Ice cream. - (static)
             fried curried bananas - (boxley) - (5)
                 Just use less curry then - (CRConrad) - (4)
                     my favorite use for curry - (boxley) - (2)
                         The German "Currywurst"... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             when making one type of sausage I use a lot of curry, - (boxley)
                     "If you can eat it, we can fry it." - (drewk)
         Which curry? - (dpeterson) - (10)
             milk turd brown (mild)-m -NT - (boxley)
             Yeah, what's called "Curry" (=just plain), up here... - (CRConrad) - (8)
                 Gave it a try... - (dpeterson) - (7)
                     Not necessarily supposed to "mix", exactly... - (CRConrad) - (6)
                         so it is not fried curried banana patties? - (boxley) - (5)
                             Not originally, no -- but, hey... - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                 well banana scrambled eggs are good, add curry. -m -NT - (boxley)
                                 OT how many hrs -zulu are you timezone wise? -m -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                     +2. Y? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                         -5 so yer 7hrs ahead. thanx -NT - (boxley)

A few lettuce pieces short of a salad.
58 ms