IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New about the same here....
I've put on both 10.2 client and 10.2 server....still slogging through everything but not as much improvement as I had hoped for either, particularly on the WebObjects front.
New More (minor) dev stuff
Teaching a class on data structures (using STL and ANSI C++)

First exercise:

Code works in VC++ 6
Code works in RH 7.3 (GCC)
Code barfs with segmentation fault on 10.2.

Mmmmm....

Okay, well then, LOOKIT THE PURTY COLORS!

Seriously, I like this OS but it's not perfect yet by any means.

Tom Sinclair

"Everybody is someone else's weirdo."
- E. Dijkstra
New Got compiler upgrade?
It helps some.

Also YTF are you teaching data structures using C++? They're not going to learn anything good and I've got enough concrete thinkers who can't abstract away from implementation running around here.

Here's a radical idea - all programming instruction that isn't language specific should be in Smalltalk - you can get Squeak or Visualworks for free.

The mindset of the average developer is completely fucked up and its because the schools are teaching programming with stone tools and bearskins.

Sorry, I know its not your fault.
I am out of the country for the duration of the Bush administration.
Please leave a message and I'll get back to you when democracy returns.
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:22:46 AM EDT
New I got the upgrade

I agree that C++ is not the ideal language for teaching OOP. However, the curriculum committee decided that our two main teaching languages are Java and C++ and that C++ (Using Visual Studio) would be our student's "beginning" language.

I suggested Smalltalk at one of the meetings, based on discussions here, and got a set of disgusted/confused looks.

At least I managed to make VB 'campus-optional'. In other words, you can teach VB or you can teach Perl. Guess which one I selected for *our* campus? <grin>

So, I satisfy myself with small victories.
- I got the HTML class to use our Sun (with Apache) as their server. (Samba is installed so they can mount their home directories on their Win2K desktops.)
- I'm pushing VNC as a desktop sharing solution for instructors. Everyone who's seen it is extremely impressed and I've documented the installation and configuration for both Windows and Linux. Our tech guy is already using it for remote Windows admin based on my work.
- I documented in detail how to image Linux machines (The Windows side has Ghost and I didn't want our UNIX classes to be second-class citizens.)
- In our UNIX admin class, I've introduced labs on encryption, Kerberos, WebDAV and others that aren't even mentioned in all of the Windows classes. (In fact, I've had students tell me that they learned more in this one class than they did in all of their other networking courses.)
- I document all of my solutions and make them publically available to anyone who's interested. Instructors who come to me for info get pointed to my Web page.
- I do semi-regular training for our support people on UNIX and other OSS support topics.
- I'm working with the Graphic Design department to help them transition to OS X as well as switch file server platforms from Windows NT to Linux (with netatalk)
- I created and presented an Intermediate Programming class using Linux and Kdevelop.
- I developed and presented courses in directory services and TCP/IP networking using Linux. (They're usually done with W2K.)
- Our librarian is searching for a good library management package and I hooked her up with a group that is putting together an OSS solution.

It's slow but steady. However, as a technical school, we're still way too vendor-driven, especially in the networking department. What works to my advantage is that, as a school, our budgets are perpetually tight so OSS solutions have at least a chance to sneak into the cracks.
Tom Sinclair

"Everybody is someone else's weirdo."
- E. Dijkstra
New Fashion vs knowledge
"I suggested Smalltalk at one of the meetings, based on discussions here, and got a set of disgusted/confused looks."

What you saw was fear and ignorance.

Of course if you're a vocational school then sure, teach whatever the want ads mention.

If you're a university, then you're ripping off the students.

(Yeah, I've seen the same crap at UCD where a friend of mine teaches the RDBMS class, something about "relevance" and commercial application they keep mentioning as they decide to teach algorithms in java, now everyone struggles to get their classpath exactly right).

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:24:29 AM EDT
New Oh well, WebObjects
Is in a state where I think I could reasonably sue for fraud and expect to win.

The dev tools are non-existent, its Java, but doesn't interop with standard java, uses its own incompatible collections classes, and claims to provide but doesn't actually allow dev teams on different platforms to share work.

I wish they'd give up on PBX and PBWO and put some effort into

1) making the entire build process ant driven (we already have here and I now have some cool ant tools - like EODoc that does for EOModels what JavaDoc does for Java and our own very simple GenEOs that doesn't rely on the messy cayenne lib and does generation gap EO generation).
2) Support Eclipse or netBeans so we can all use the same dev tools everywhere
3) Fix the bugs
4) Fix the rest of the bugs
5) Speed it up and then fix the resulting bugs
6) Give up on Frameworks and use Jars for everything.
7) Stick with NextStep property lists - the xml format is crap and java property lists are FLAT and therefore sucky.

Honestly, that team ought to be fired and replaced en masse.

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:22:55 AM EDT
     Jaguar! - (tjsinclair) - (8)
         Need to do this also, sounds great -NT - (boxley)
         I'm finding it a mixed bag - (tuberculosis) - (6)
             about the same here.... - (slugbug) - (5)
                 More (minor) dev stuff - (tjsinclair) - (3)
                     Got compiler upgrade? - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                         I got the upgrade - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                             Fashion vs knowledge - (tuberculosis)
                 Oh well, WebObjects - (tuberculosis)

Mmmmmm. Gouda!
119 ms