IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New GobeProductive going GPL
[link|http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=1520|GobeProductive going GPL]

GobeProductive is a slick little office suite written by the team that wrote ClarisWorks (now AppleWorks) for the Mac. It started as BeOS only, but the latest version was ported to Windows and a Linux version is in Alpha I believe. I guess they couldn't make a go of it (closed source)commerically so they are opening it up and restructuring thier business around the codebase.

I've played with the BeOS version in the past. Some highlights:

- Small, lightweight. Don't know how well this carried over to the more cross-platform version.

- Its another choice in office suites that run on both Windows and Linux.

- Integration between the apps was good. You could embed a spreadsheet in a WP doc and make it translucent/transparent and/or rotate it arbitrarily. That's a trick I've never seen OLE embedding do (not that I ever find the need to embed much of anything in MS Office, and I use it everyday). Actually, now that I recall, the concept is that you have a blank sheet of paper and you put whatever you need in your document; words, spreadsheet, chart, drawing. Sound alot like what OpenDoc was supposed to bring.

It'll be interesting to watch this one.
--
Chris Altmann
Expand Edited by altmann Aug. 12, 2002, 04:04:16 AM EDT
New Always liked that about PageMaker
Actually, now that I recall, the concept is that you have a blank sheet of paper and you put whatever you need in your document; words, spreadsheet, chart, drawing.
That's how PageMaker works. (And Quark and probably all high-end DTP packages.) It made a clear separation between the tasks of word processing and layout. Create your items in whatever makes the most sense, then place them on the page with PageMaker.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
     GobeProductive going GPL - (altmann) - (1)
         Always liked that about PageMaker - (drewk)

It’s an insidious time-gobbler.
32 ms