IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That'd be Star Division.
And I am really, really disappointed with what SUN did to that product. I worked at an all MS shop for more years than I'd like to admit. The last 2 years there I used Star Office exclusively and no one noticed. Really, the file formats were that good - everyone else had Office '97 and couldn't tell any difference in my docs, spreadsheets or even presentations (I was careful not to use some of the cooler stuff in Impress that wasn't available in PPT97 - not that I did all that much Office app stuff - I was a VB/Sql goob there).

Then budget cuts came. An assistant vp wanted to do some work at home (Word/PPT/Excel). The CIO said, "You have to buy a license." I suggested he try Star Office from Star Division (personal use license back then was < $40.00). He bought it, used it and loved it. That was 4 years ago. I ran into him recently and he told me that he's been using Star Office ever since. He bought the $75.00 SUN version and said he didn't like the "non-integration". See, I know all the arguments, but from the end-user standpoint, they don't want to have to know that they need app X to create a document of type Y. And the integrated version of Star (v 5.2 and down) didn't require them to know that.

I honestly don't see why a new major was added to what SUN has done with the product. I'm still using 5.2 and imho, it's the best office product available for Linux - and it has the bonus of running on that other company's os (what's that firm's name again? Mega-something, or Something-sloth, or, oh well, not important. :-)
New But a lot of people don't like that "integration"
New Could be conditioning.
Because users always had to know .xls = Excel, .doc = Word, .mdb = Access, .ppt = Powerpoint. Remember "Information at your fingertips"? That's what the integration got you ;-)

Expand Edited by mmoffitt Aug. 9, 2002, 04:57:56 PM EDT
New Everyone I know hated the 5.2 integration
and much prefers 6.0. Why would I want StarOffice to take over my desktop and give me a new one. Try 6.0, it really is much better then 5.2.
New Actually, I'd like it optional.
The best bit of the Star Office 5.2 desktop was that when you had a dozen documents open, Star Office still only took up 1 icon in the TaskBar.

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New You didn't have to have it that way.
I understand what you're saying, but the "Start" button didn't have to be integrated into your shell. My point was that users didn't have to know if they were opening a presentation, spreadsheet or document.

And, I'm playing with OpenOffice as we speak ;-)
     Petreley takes on Sun re .NET vs Sun One - (dmarker2) - (7)
         Open Source and making money - (orion) - (6)
             That'd be Star Division. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                 But a lot of people don't like that "integration" -NT - (tonytib) - (1)
                     Could be conditioning. - (mmoffitt)
                 Everyone I know hated the 5.2 integration - (bluke) - (2)
                     Actually, I'd like it optional. - (static)
                     You didn't have to have it that way. - (mmoffitt)

Are you missing the point accidentally or strategically?
107 ms