Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Check the last paragraph...
[link|http://www.iht.com/articles/64155.html|here.]
Alex

"Television: chewing gum for the eyes." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
New Yeah, I found that in Google

but it just mentioned the story as something 'making the rounds' and didn't give a source.

I hope it's not just a new urban legend.

Possibly a misattributed Dan Quayle quote? I've seen at least one Quaylism attributed recently to GW.

Tom Sinclair
"Subverting Young Minds Since 03/13/2000"
New Snopes says it's false...

Claim: President George W. Bush proclaimed, "The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur."

Origins: Yet another "George W. Bush is dumb" story has been taken up by those who like their caricatures drawn in stark, bold lines. According to scuttlebutt that emerged in the British press in July 2002, President Bush, Britain's Prime Minister Tony Blair, and France's President Jacques Chirac were discussing economics and, in particular, the decline of the French economy. "The problem with the French," Bush afterwards confided in Blair, "is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur."

The source was Shirley Williams, also known as the Baroness Williams of Crosby, who claimed "my good friend Tony Blair" had recently regaled her with this anecdote in Brighton.

Lloyd Grove of The Washington Post was unable to reach Baroness Williams to gain her confirmation of the tale, but he did receive a call from Alastair Campbell, Blair's director of communications and strategy. "I can tell you that the prime minister never heard George Bush say that, and he certainly never told Shirley Williams that President Bush did say it," Campbell told The Post. "If she put this in a speech, it must have been a joke."

[link|http://www.snopes.com/quotes/bush.htm| source ]
New So lemme get this straight...
The head PR hack for Tony Blair, PM of Pretty Good Britain, the only full ally the US has left, states categorically that Blair denies recounting it to a friend.

Sure would like to hear from Shirley Williams herself (before 10 Downing Street's people "debrief" her) before I chalk it up to an urban legend.

Some things just have a ring of truth to them....
jb4
"I remember Harry S. Truman's sign on his desk. 'The buck stops here.' Strange how those words, while still true, mean something completely different today." -- Brandioch
New But as I mentioned once before re Der Bushie:
..it's really almost Too Good - custom tailored to our amusing guy because:

We just *know* that if anyone else (except Dan Quayle) uttered it - it Was a damn good joke!

Suspicious; I expect confirmation shall never arrive.

Ashton
     Bush entrepeneur quote? - (tjsinclair) - (18)
         Check the last paragraph... - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
             Yeah, I found that in Google - (tjsinclair) - (3)
                 Snopes says it's false... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                     So lemme get this straight... - (jb4) - (1)
                         But as I mentioned once before re Der Bushie: - (Ashton)
         sounds so good it must be true? -NT - (boxley)
         I've dropped it as a sig. - (Silverlock) - (11)
             yer sig is the only way I'd ever vote shrub :) -NT - (boxley) - (10)
                 Sorry to hear that - (Silverlock)
                 Box ya gotta get over the idea - (Ashton) - (8)
                     I am a betting man... - (screamer) - (3)
                         Re: I am a betting man... - (deSitter) - (2)
                             Working on tix... - (screamer) - (1)
                                 No - (deSitter)
                     even with words! - like "there is no controlling authority" -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                         Then you should have heard Cheney today in SF - (Ashton) - (2)
                             Give me a break. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                 Typical beltway.. - (Ashton)

First documented case of homosexual necrophilia in the mallard duck species.
49 ms