IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Heh - HV..
Whenever I entered the Cockroft-Walton cage (480 KV at ~ 100 mA DC - with a bouncer for regulation to a fare-thee-well) I most carefully lodged the heavy.. 4/0 cable-connected grounding hook in place, then hit each stack of PSs with the lighter ground rod. No contempt with familiarity.. There.

Wimpy computers.. a mere 7 KV!

Er the tankered bolling shims are a feature of The Turbo-Encabulator in Industry, a fine lampoon orig. from a GE engr. (?) maybe in late '40s. I have a copy somewhere and maybe it's hit the web. Too lazy to ask Google. Believe Turbo was mentioned years ago in a IWE thread, too.

Another feature from Turbo- needing a modern application:

hydrocoptic marzelvanes - possibly these could be adapted to provide security, in future M$ OSs. (Certainly nothing actually existing.. could.)

A.
New Re: Turbo Encabulator
One link:

[link|http://www.csd.uwo.ca/staff/magi/personal/humour/General_Audience/The%20Turbo%20Encabulator.html|Turbo Encabulator.]

The weak spot in this CPU was the Capacitive Read Only Storage, the ROM (Read Only Memory) of it's day. A bit was in effect a pair of capacitors made something like 1/16" x 1/16" gold plated foil separated by thin mylar film from a 1/16" strip of like material. Anyway, there would be a pulse of current along one dimension of this rig and sense amps would pick up a signal along the other. The signals were tiny and the amplifiers high gain. Hence the susceptibility to high electrical noise caused by static discharge.
Alex

Only two things are certain: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not certain about the universe.
-- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
New Ah yesss.. alas, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..
     Palm fries Dell ?? The Reg reports. - (Ashton) - (6)
         Not dumb: just lawyers trying to make a buck (or a million) -NT - (tonytib)
         Crap. Noone show this to our Network Admin - (Steve Lowe)
         Nofer trunnions? I thought it was the density of high... - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             Heh - HV.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Re: Turbo Encabulator - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     Ah yesss.. alas, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.. -NT - (Ashton)

An easy subject, at which very few excel!
65 ms