as you said - only heroes need apply. Nor could anyone actually 'apply', for the essence of using shame is that - the event must *be* ~unpremeditated, certainly not orchestrated. But always and everywhere there be Chance:

The Vietnamese monks immolating selves - got even Kennedy's attention (thus a whole bunch under him) as evidence of how much Ngo Dinh Diem was unloved as a puppet installed by us.

(Didn't help that JFK was later said to have begun the planning for withdrawal from that morass..) nor did it help that Greer, the driver in Dallas on 11/22: stopped dead after first shot - he hadn't driven that car before either - instead of swerving and gassing it.. (The first shot didn't kill)

So we got Johnson riding on JFK's martyrdom and Pricess Di emotional mandate - and a (already, previously) disgraced Nixon next President and.. all the rest of accidental history. The only kind there is.

Irrelevant? I think not: there just is no way I can imagine, starting from *here* - for a deliberate, methodical and sane new 'peace process' to spring from the forehead of er ___ anyone alive. Next: accidents, deaths and if the world is Damn lucky,

Shame! of the sort you mention. Only that level of shame *can* change habits rapidly enough if.. all next goes uncharacteristically well.

So I agree with your sense of it all. You just can't "do" it! It must just happen.

My 3 shekels