Back when I was trying to decide if I wanted to hang my own shingle or get a "real job" I interviewed for an "Applications Manager" slot. I was not selected. I called the HR Goob who had called me to ask me to interview for the slot to ask why I didn't make the "short list" and guess what I was told? Keep in mind that I knew this HR person very well and he was more honest w/me than I suspect he'd be with most. (This is as best I remember)

"The interview process went very well. They really liked your personality and thought you would be a good fit for the team. But, they were really concerned that you knew too much about design and development. You know, standards and all that. They thought that you might miss actually doing the coding because you seemed to know so much about it."

No B.S. That's what I was told. I didn't get the job because I knew too well how it should be done. That is why I hung my own shingle. Now I've got more work than I want to do. Maybe you should toy with that idea?

bcnu,
Mikem