IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Windows 2000 Dock Issue
One of my people was having a problem with Windows 2000. His Compaq would spontaneously do a software undock (as if someone had issued an "Eject PC" click on the Start Menu). My gut feeling told me it was a Windows 2000 issue alone. Nevertheless we backflashed his BIOS and reinstalled Windows 2000. Same problem.

Now the very same problem happened to me on my completely different ThinkPad/Dock. The problem started *after* I had downloaded all the "Windows Update" APRs in the correct order - that is, I let MS do its thing without intervention.

I can't find any mention of this problem on TechNet etc. Again, it's a spontaneous "Eject PC" invocation, and happens very fast (no warning at all). A side issue is that after a real eject and hot-undock, Windows 2000 insists that an unsafe undock was performed.

Windows 2000 is very squirrely. It's still clearly Windows NT, which had a device model that made hotswap and plug/play hard to handle. I'm getting the feeling that some of the solutions are bandaided on top of the core Windows NT and that a lot of the old, fairly robust, structure of the OS has been compromised.

-drl
New Interesting
is there a stuck key or something causing this undock command to happen? Perhaps one of the Windows keys in combination with another key?

I have a Windows 2000 Server with all the updates installed and I do not have this problem. Maybe it is a registry problem associated with some of Compaq's software? Is this the Compaq OEM version of Windows 2000, or the Retail Windows 2000?

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
     Windows 2000 Dock Issue - (deSitter) - (1)
         Interesting - (orion)

Would you like fries with that?
31 ms