IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Oh man
You're going to work for the BEER COMPANY?

Daaaaamn, that's cool.

Good stuff. Break a leg in the interview.

And yes, my offer of a firm arse-kicking still stands :-)

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Its not *good* beer - and I'd skip the examples Norm
If its the big one in St Louis we all know from TV.

But its a job just the same.

Norm - I'd bail on the examples. Don't bother with them.
Instead, I'd simply do my best to appear knowledgable about a couple of pitfalls in web development.

Example - visual html editors are not so good for performance as they tend to construct deeply nested table structures to manage placements and the browsers tend to bog down in the table constraint calculations. The best way to speed up many websites is to remove redundant tables in the pages put there by the brilliant but technically clueless artists.

Stuff like that. I'd bone up on a couple website style pundit postings before you go in as well. zeldman.com is one such site I think.

Examples invite the discovery of flaws and can do more harm than good.
I am out of the country for the duration of the Bush administration.
Please leave a message and I'll get back to you when democracy returns.
New HTML table-tastic (and v.OT)
I quick way to totally lockup IE, if not crash it, is to build several hundred nested tables. I did it by accident once in a PHP script - IE locked solid on my PC trying to display 6000 nested, unclosed tables!

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New 6000 tables!
Way Kewl!

Isn't it amazing how quickly automation can screw things up?

It's good to see that even the experts occasionally lose control of that moneky wrench (or spanner, for those of you on the other side of either pond)...
jb4
"I remember Harry S. Truman's sign on his desk. 'The buck stops here.' Strange how those words, while still true, mean something completely different today." -- Brandioch
New Oh yes. *grin*

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New Visual web editors
While most visual web editors are very poor at creating clean, optimized HTML, and if I do it by hand I can make web pages much smaller, I still wind up using Macromedia Dreamweaver to create all my web templates. Why? Because as far as tables go, it doesn't handle them too badly, and I can create layouts a lot quicker using it than by coding them by hand.

Some visual web editors are absolute crap (like Frontpage) but some are a pretty good tradeoff.

Most of the messy html on Ubersoft.net comes from the server-side includes on Keenspot, not the stuff I did in Dreamweaver (on my Windows machine) or HomePage Publisher (on my OS/2 machine).

"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New Hey!
For American beer, it ain't too bad. Sort of like being in first place in a weak division.

-drl
New Re: Hey!
If you've ever taken the tour at your local facility and had the sample at the end of the tour (I did in July of 1974) it is quite good. Better than anything of theirs you can buy. Other than a hot day in July, I don't know why that was the case.
Alex

"Television: chewing gum for the eyes." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
New Its the King of Beers
and they just are working on an agreement with the largest brewer in China, sort of a partnership. They will be expanding their market to China due to this.

Did I mention that they employ 1200 IT Workers in St. Louis? They are Big on Microsoft, but they pay pretty well. Their contracts don't last more than five years, but that is a lot longer than most other local firms have for contract limits. I'll be a contractor if I get hired, and they have a right to hire me if I do a good job and they have an open position for me to move into their company.

Oh course the taste of the beer doesn't matter to me, I don't drink beer. If any of their products, I might pick an O'Douls, or whatever the non-alcohol drink is that they have. I think I had one at my bachelor party in 1997, made the other guys think that I was drinking real beer instead of near beer. Tasted like beer, but no buzz.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New Tsing Tao.
[link|http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/020731/tsingtao_anheuser_busch_2.html|Tsingtao Allies With Anheuser-Busch.]
ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Beer-making giant Anheuser-Busch Cos. and China's Tsingtao Brewery Co. plan to form a strategic alliance to further develop the growing Chinese beer market.

Neither company would offer details of the alliance, announced Tuesday, saying details are still under negotiation. But the deal would increase Anheuser-Busch's 4.5 percent stake in Tsingtao. The St. Louis company acquired that stake for $16.4 million in 1993.
We've got a Tsing Tao (Chinese) restaurant here in Charlotte and I've named my Pekinese dog Tsing-Tsing. Stll don't know if Tsing-Tsing means anything.
Alex

"Television: chewing gum for the eyes." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
New Has to be approved by Chinese government
if not, any deal would be a no-go.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New You Know What They Say About Chinese Beer...
Thirty minutes after a six pack, you're sober again.

-drl
     I'm alive - (orion) - (37)
         *smile* Good luck on the interview! - (imric)
         Great! - (SpiceWare)
         Thank goodness for archive.org - (orion)
         Hang in there, and best of luck! -NT - (Another Scott)
         Excellent.... I am willing to "host" a few things fer you... - (folkert)
         Best of luck tomorrow!!! - (slugbug)
         Give 'em heck! -NT - (tjsinclair)
         Re: I'm alive - (JayMehaffey)
         Oh man - (pwhysall) - (11)
             Its not *good* beer - and I'd skip the examples Norm - (tuberculosis) - (10)
                 HTML table-tastic (and v.OT) - (static) - (2)
                     6000 tables! - (jb4) - (1)
                         Oh yes. *grin* -NT - (static)
                 Visual web editors - (cwbrenn)
                 Hey! - (deSitter) - (5)
                     Re: Hey! - (a6l6e6x)
                     Its the King of Beers - (orion) - (3)
                         Tsing Tao. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                             Has to be approved by Chinese government - (orion)
                             You Know What They Say About Chinese Beer... - (deSitter)
         Thank goodness - I'm *delighted* to hear it! -NT - (Meerkat)
         The best part of that - (drewk)
         Go fo it! - (jb4)
         Good luck with interview! Let us know how it went. - (a6l6e6x)
         Right ON! - (Steve Lowe)
         What I really wanted to say, - (cwbrenn)
         Praise God! - (tseliot) - (1)
             I had a few people praying, too. - (static)
         Cool - (deSitter) - (6)
             If I get hired - (orion) - (5)
                 Re: If I get hired - (deSitter) - (4)
                     So far so good - (orion) - (3)
                         Hey.. that makes you - (Ashton) - (1)
                             Usually happens - (orion)
                         Awesome News! - (Steve Lowe)
         Welcome Back! - (gdaustin)
         Big smile, sigh of relief. - (Arkadiy)

I signed a contract that said so.
112 ms