1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Amending UCITA?
[link|http://news.com.com/2100-1023-947182.html?tag=fd_top|Here's hoping]

Excerpt:

Among the amendments being debated in Tucson:

\ufffd Self-Help: As UCITA now stands, software licenses can thwart lawsuits against vendors by outlining binding alternatives to litigation. These so-called self-help measures have let software companies shut down a piece of software if they have not been paid for or if they claim a breach of contract. According to NCCUSL, a proposed change to UCITA would abolish provisions for self-help. The ALA claims it would still permit loopholes for self-help.

\ufffd Opting In, Opting Out: A proposed change removes a section of UCITA that limited licensees' ability to opt in or out of UCITA.

\ufffd Known Defects: Critics lambasted UCITA for relieving software vendors of liability for selling software with known defects. A new section "expressly clarifies the applicability of other law to provide appropriate remedies for cases where known material defects are undisclosed," according to NCCUSL.

\ufffd Consumer Protection: Consumer advocates charged that UCITA would strip people of legal protections they enjoy under current state law. A new section would spell out that existing consumer protection law trumps UCITA when the two come into conflict.

\ufffd Public Criticism: Free-speech advocates complained that UCITA let software makers prohibit public criticism of their products. A new section says that any provision limiting criticism rights is not enforceable, according to NCCUSL.

\ufffd Reverse Engineering: A new section spells out that reverse engineering is permissible for the purpose of making products interoperable with each other. The amendment was a sine qua non for Sun Microsystems, NCCUSL said.

[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Everything's a mystery until you figure out how it works.
Free Joel Mowbray!
I'm a-gonna put a gun rack on my SUV.
New Hah. Good luck.
Out of (what is it, 150 pages of regulations), they hope to amend it so as to make it acceptable to both Microsoft and Joe Six-pack?

Oh, brother, someone has been smoking something.
The lawyers would mostly rather be what they are than get out of the way even if the cost was Hammerfall. - Jerry Pournelle
New I don't care whether they do
They only suckered 2 states. And half the states have come out against it.

Let this sucker die the death it deserves to. And hope that people pay attention as lobbys try to sneak its terms into various unrelated bills.

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
     Amending UCITA? - (marlowe) - (2)
         Hah. Good luck. - (wharris2)
         I don't care whether they do - (ben_tilly)

But if you call right now, you might get an appointment by then.
93 ms