IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So it's like this event today....
[link|http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/today/business_9.html|Burger Kiing.]
Britain's Diageo PLC announced a deal Thursday to sell Burger King Corp., the world's second-largest fast-food business, to a consortium of U.S. investors.
The confusing part was you said "to liquidate the company and sell it back to shareholders". Liquidation is selling at least parts of the company to another party.
Alex

"Television: chewing gum for the eyes." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
New Like that but...
with the money returning as dividends (and per Drew's plan, with part of it going to the CEO) rather than being invested in other areas of the business.

Basically the scenario is one where the CEO acts like a corporate raider, except that rather than paying off junk bonds he is giving a fat dividend to shareholders (like it or not) and himself a big fat bonus.

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
     Fortume magazine weighs in on expensing stock options - (lincoln) - (10)
         Here's how to fix it - (drewk) - (8)
             Different accounting practices. - (Brandioch)
             Every fix has its drawbacks - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                 Of course it does, but I like them better - (drewk) - (1)
                     There is chicanery and chicanery - (ben_tilly)
                 Re: liquidate the company and sell it back to shareholders? - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                     It does compute - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         So it's like this event today.... - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                             Like that but... - (ben_tilly)
         Don't quote FASB - (wharris2)

One of them has appalling taste in home decor, but if this is symptomatic of brain damage I submit that long-term exposure to the cultural vacuum of the San Fernando Valley is at least as plausible a proximate cause.
67 ms