IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Eh? Where did you study history?
"I sympathise with the Russian people, but not with Russia. It sounds cruel, but they *deserved* Hitler's surprise attack and it was only luck (likely the Italian's incompetance at conquering Greece) that delayed the Germans long enough to keep the Germans out of Moscow"
Well I dont know where the "deserved" came from, the only reason Hitler attacked east was in the best estimation of the time the Russians were going to go west in the following spring. As for the luck of Moscow, it was not luck. Dumass wanted Steeltown more than Moscow where it would have made more sense. As for defeating the Russians, it couldnt be done. All the sacrificing at st petes, steeltown and moscow was to but time to get heavy industry behind the urals where all the germans to the last man wouldnt have been enough to take and hold the land. No supply lines, train track guage different, crap roads. As it was it took 7-11 soldiers to keep one in the front lines. Not enough people.
thanx,
bill
."Once, in the wilds of Afghanistan, I had to subsist on food and water for several weeks." W.C. Fields
New I don't think so.
First, I believe Stalin was preempted by a few weeks. If Hitler had waited a month more, it would have been a Russian blitzkrieg all the way to France. The maps of Germany were already delivered to the troops, not quite distributed tohough.

Second, Germans went after Moscow with full force in 1941, and then after Stalin City, with full force, in 1942. In both cases, they were fended off, just barely. Going after Stalingrad made more sence than simple propaganda: it was on the way to Caspian Sea, Russia's only oil source back then (Siberia oil was not developed yet).

As to heavy industry - total agreement. By mid-42, it was already at Urals, quite out of reach of Germans.

(BTW, I checked the range of American bombers at the end of the war... America _could_ thrash all those plants behind Ural Mountains, at least theoretically, flying from England. That would be something to see.)
New Stalingrad
Could have been bypassed and mopped up later at lesure. Surround, block the river and keep reinforcements out. It was only the insistance of hitler to "take" the city and stalins order to kruschev not to allow it to be taken that was the downfall of the wermacht and signalled the end of the war for germany.
thanx,
bill
."Once, in the wilds of Afghanistan, I had to subsist on food and water for several weeks." W.C. Fields
New Here, you may be right.
     Put that in your pipe and smoke it - (boxley) - (19)
         Not quite - (orion)
         I hate stuff like that - (tuberculosis) - (17)
             Who said that that was written by a 'librul'? -NT - (jb4) - (16)
                 Just a guess - (tuberculosis) - (15)
                     Hate places where half the crowd puffs up - (wharris2) - (13)
                         So you hate France? - (tuberculosis) - (11)
                             Re: So you hate France? - (wharris2) - (10)
                                 Complex - (tuberculosis)
                                 Re: So you hate France? - (deSitter)
                                 WW2. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                     Russia lost 20 millions - (Arkadiy) - (6)
                                         No doubt. - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                             Higher prices - (wharris2) - (4)
                                                 Eh? Where did you study history? - (boxley) - (3)
                                                     I don't think so. - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                         Stalingrad - (boxley) - (1)
                                                             Here, you may be right. -NT - (Arkadiy)
                         Oh, I do... - (jb4)
                     How did you know they weren't a moderate? - (orion)

You know them Gnomes don't make no good money.
101 ms