IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Mostly habit
At this point this is just a habit, early web developers used upper case to maximize compatiblity. But it hasn't made a difference in years.

My understanding is that prior to the 4.0 standard the HTML specification didn't clearly specify case sensitivity. In practice, web browsers have always been case insensitve. But things like CGI apps often only worked with upper case.

And HTML 4+ comes right out and specifies case insensitity.

Naturally XML goes and reverses that. Strict XHTML requires all tags be lowercase.

Jay
New I knew someone would eventually say it.
I, too, prefer(ed) my HTML in uppercase. So I was most annoyed that not only was XML case-sensitive, but XHTML specified lowercase. I've found that in mixed-case pages, upper-case tags stand out a little more, but (as Karsten said) syntax-highlighting is better for that nowadays, anyway. IWETHEY probably only accepts lowercase because it was coded to the standard.

We specify upper case where I work for pretty much the same reason I stuck to uppercase when I first started coding. But when we start the big switch over to XHTML, we'll probably lowercase it all.

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New Heh. Just how long you gonna wait?
Shoot, we've been xhtml'ed since early last year.
---------------------------------
Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Dunno.
I inherited a lot of essentially HTML 3.2 markup. When I joined, the other programmer has just finished removing all the FONT tags, but a lot of B and I tags remain, as do all the TABLEs. I'd like to have fixed most of the HTML before the end of the year, but there's a lot of other things that need to be done before I can afford to spend time on that.

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

Caps/no caps HTML? - (inthane-chan) - (17)
         D00d, 1t b3 better t0 r34d! - (orion) - (1)
             HTML looks better in upper case? - (Andrew Grygus)
         Style, standards - (kmself)
         It's the Pascal method of teaching... - (ChrisR)
         Mostly habit - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
             I knew someone would eventually say it. - (static) - (2)
                 Heh. Just how long you gonna wait? - (tseliot) - (1)
                     Dunno. - (static)
         zIWETHEY accepts some upper case keywords, not others... - (rsteiner) - (8)
             Fixed. - (admin) - (7)
                 Wow! - (rsteiner) - (6)
                     Re: Wow! - (admin) - (5)
                         Let's see now - (drewk)
                         Careful... - (rsteiner) - (3)
                             Re: Careful... - (admin) - (2)
                                 ZIWT - Powered By People Bitching At Scott :-) -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     Excellent. - (Another Scott)

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!
78 ms