IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ahhhaaa ! - Think I can see what iPAQ is doing wrong ...

It seems that each time I turn the thing off - something happend to the settings for the Wi-Fi LinkSys card settings.

The way I get it working again is to reset the Wi-Fi settings to default & it starts running again.

This problem was not there at first (as best as I can recall). But the unit has been a PITB for most of the time I have had it.

Now I need to check with Compaq & LinkSys as to if they are aware of any problems. The Zaurus just keeps running sweetly each time I try the same LinkSys card in it.

Doug M
New Eureka! Ffficksd the Phukker - !!!!!!!!

The default setting of blank for the SSID may work for many Wi-Fi cards but not for this one.

After asking LinkSys for help & getting no quick reply, I guessed it had to be the config program not saving the settings, but if I put a setting for SSID in there, it did save it. So I set my AirStation for 'xyz' as the ESSID & set same on Zaurus & iPAQ & it worked. !!!!!

Then it occured to me that most config programs for Wi-Fi are going to accept 'ANY' as a valid default & sure enough
that worked too

3 months of messing about until I had the time to focus on the problem. All it needed was a few words in the
config program. Use 'ANY' as the default, a blank field may work but will not be saved.

Ahh well - be prepared.

Doug

Just wait until y'all try installing a Bluetooth PCMCIA card in a Win2000 notbook - what pure fun (above is much easier)
(God help John (not computer litterate Citizen)
Expand Edited by dmarker2 July 23, 2002, 07:17:09 PM EDT
New Re: Revenge of the iPAQ - stuffed again

Tried to use the iPAQ today & it keeps telling me it can't see the LinkSys Wi-Fi card.

Zaurus still sees it & uses it.

Ahhh well - I am done wasting time of this PDA - and yet it looks so nice !!!!

Doug M
New Re: An expensive alternative (but rids the plug-in failures)
The new Toshiba 400mhz unit (see link below). They sell a bluetooth model (similar to iPAQ 3780) and a Wi-Fi unit so one doesn't have to put up with adapter jackets & failing adapters.

It comes with an SD slot and a CF slot whereas iPAQ only has the SD slot & back-pack unit to add the CF slot.

But this baby is rather expensive at $US 599 (perhaps too expensive in fact)

[link|http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-2709830-404-20033518.html?tag=prmo4|Toshiba Win2002 PDA]

Cheers Doug

#1 edit - Just noticed that this baby supports an expansion pack that adds a VGA monitor connection & can support 800 x 600 res on the monitor this same expansion pack adds a USB support - hmmm - does than mean a printer ? - add IBM's via voice (comes with the iPAQ) & one might have a workable mini PC.

Expand Edited by dmarker2 July 25, 2002, 05:28:07 AM EDT
New Sounds like the iPaq is a waste of space.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New Re: I am selling mine - but I know of satisfied users

I am dissapointed with the frustrations I have had with it - it looks such a nice unit (as I keep saying)

but my experience is nothing but trouble with the plug-ins and the MSIE software and especially with the pathetic Win2002 network configuration. I guess I can't blame that on Compaq - also the Zaurus has its own problems - it now fails to recco SD cards & I am sending it back under warranty.

I would say that all of this emerging technology is going to be troublesome for a while.

Here in HK the 400 mhz Compaq 3970 has appeared - still won't take CF cards in the base unit. I managed to see one of the new toxhiba 400mhz units but was quoted 5,500 HK$ which is nothing short of extortion for what it is.

Cheers

Doug (My Sony PEG-N70 PALM just keeps chugging away)

Just did a bios upgrade of Zaurus & iPAQ - what a difference - (dmarker2) - (7)
         Ahhhaaa ! - Think I can see what iPAQ is doing wrong ... - (dmarker2) - (5)
             Eureka! Ffficksd the Phukker - !!!!!!!! - (dmarker2) - (4)
                 Re: Revenge of the iPAQ - stuffed again - (dmarker2) - (3)
                     Re: An expensive alternative (but rids the plug-in failures) - (dmarker2) - (2)
                         Sounds like the iPaq is a waste of space. -NT - (static) - (1)
                             Re: I am selling mine - but I know of satisfied users - (dmarker2)
         An unflattering view of IPAQ + CompaqHP - (Ashton)

It is a weapon of mass distraction to keep us away from the real issues at hand.
57 ms