IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The "sell" was a lie, as are most things Capitalist.
The machines were supposed to give us 4-day work-weeks with 6 hours a day work. But they didn't. What continuously amazes me is that people continue to "believe" in technology despite the fact that it has failed miserably to deliver upon any of its promises from its infancy. Sure, tremendous strides have been made in some areas, but the benefits of those strides are afforded only to the few that can afford to pay for it.

The common man should be, anti-conservative and extremely anti-technology.
New who or what to spank
(* The machines were supposed to give us 4-day work-weeks with 6 hours a day work. *)

It does: You work 6 hours, and then play on Ziwethey the other 2 :-)

(* What continuously amazes me is that people continue to "believe" in technology despite the fact that it has failed miserably to deliver upon any of its promises from its infancy. *)

Technology is a tool. Tools can do bad and do good. Humans are the problem, not technology. (Except where OO is concerned, of course.)
Not any more. I'm on my own now and if you see me posting here, its only because I'm going to have to make up for it in the middle of the night ;-)
New You found a way to be your own boss? (at still get money)

* best encapsulation I know of the Actual program from the first wet-dream of Henry Ford, as he daily sped-up the Model-T assembly line is:

[link|http://www.mistral.co.uk/hammerwood/chaplin.htm|Modern Times]. Charlie Chaplin's genius, not merely at entertainment but at political satire has no peer IMhO. (he Really pissed-off the Nazis with [link|http://wso.williams.edu/~dgerstei/chaplin/barber.html| The Great Dictator [1]] too. You can Bet they'd have loved to get him into Auschwitz) As would many CIEIOS?

I guess that it is surprising though, that there have been so Many examples since the start of industrialization that the worker Shall Be Screwed, yet .. the myth is powerful: that (even he!) might.. just.. ascend to be among the Controllers if he's clever, nasty and persistent - enough. Well, one could observe the same phenom with Windoze lock-in: screwing the Screwers! via their very own Snake Oil! - it is to laugh.

Hell.. it *still* works! - how else explain a 19 yo 'Conservative' - an age when something Grand ought to be envisioned and Dared! - except that s/he imagines (still..) prevailing over the odds, if the nastiness-training, desensitizing to others, is early and thorough.. enough (!?)

(Repetitive plots are so.. boring, especially when labelled progress.)

Ashton

[1]
Charlie the Barber Addresses Ptomania
By Charlie Chaplin. Spoken in The Great Dictator (1940).

I'm sorry, but I don't want to be emperor. I don't want to rule or conquer anyone. I should like to help everyone, if possible -- Jew, Gentile -- black men -- white . . .

The way of life can be beautiful, but we have lost the way. Greed has poisoned men's souls -- has barricaded the world with hate -- has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed. We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical; our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost.

We are coming out of the darkness into the light! We are coming into a new world! Look up, Hannah! The soul of man has been given wings and at last he is beginning to fly. He is flying into the rainbow -- into the light of hope. Look up, Hannah! Look up!
Expand Edited by Missing User 70 July 18, 2002, 08:01:56 AM EDT
New That is beautiful.
But the "light of hope" seems dimmed significantly these days.
     Cnet: IBM to build $86,000,000,000.00 computer for UK - (Another Scott) - (11)
         Colossus___meet____Guardian - (Ashton) - (9)
             I loved that movie. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                 Our misplaced faith.. - (Ashton) - (7)
                     The "sell" was a lie, as are most things Capitalist. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                         who or what to spank - (tablizer) - (3)
                             re your last: [cackle]___:-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
                             Re: 6 hour days. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                 You found a way to be your own boss? (at still get money) -NT - (tablizer)
                         Do you find it an unexpected eventuality - (Ashton) - (1)
                             That is beautiful. - (mmoffitt)
         Perhaps they got a nice profit margin? :-) -NT - (ben_tilly)

The only reason the bongos are the worst is because AIs have never tried chicken nuggets before.
215 ms