IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Yes and No - nice clear cut logic - good points ...
This quote ...

"The alternative is a future of increasingly destructive terrorist attacks and our eventual decline."

Is it an insight or a prediction :-) (I tend to think it is both).

When I was talking about how a dominant group with a conscience essentially become vulnerable, I was thinking in one aspect of the Moriori peoples - a sad story.

[link|http://history-nz.org/moriori.html|History of the Moriori]

"Similarly to the Maoris, inter tribal warring led to a dangerous decline in the number of the Moriori population, and this was said to have been stopped by the chief Nunuku Whenua, who ordered no more warring to take place so that the population would not become decimated. If a dispute took place, the custom was to cease immediately at the first drawing of blood. In this way, the Moriori became a totally peaceful people. "

When the Maoris eventually discovered the Chathams and the Moriori people (they did this while a chiefs son was sailing with British sailors). The chief's son eventually went back to his mainland tribe who than arranged to invade the Chathams and over a period of years systematically slaughtered and enslaved the peaceful Moriori until only a few remained. The Moriori had found a degree of peace and harmony but lost it to others who had no such goodwill.

I suspect that this type experience is not uncommon for us humans and unlikely to change. I fear that the Moriori practice for peace is too difficult to ever become universal - there are too many destabilising factors, more so as the worlds population keeps spiralling.

Doug

New Forecast?
How about "forecast"? Like with the weather. You see the storm clouds coming, you prepare for rain. :)

Yup. Your example is good. That's why we need a world-wide system of law.

Having any single nation/tribe/whatever swear off violence will only make them an easy target for violent conquest.

And the other tribes were still practicing the struggle-and-get-stronger method of survival.

New Beyond logic, then.
The above sequence adequately demonstrates IMhO the validity of the (recent historian's) observation that,

The only thing we learn from history is that, we do not learn from history.

OR: what is it we call someone who repetitively follows a course of action - yet expects different results This time?

That 'we' are deranged may not be so fruitful a conclusion as that - we are, have been - remain thus far immature, incapable of following our best overall plan for continued survival (never mind ideas of Dominance: cf. above).

As the Sages have always counselled; as most humans have always ignored - unless and until the ..collective? of humanity somehow realizes.. somehow achieves a more profound level of overall consciousness (?)

Our future is precisely as indicated in this excellent / brief summary above. One might say that - any who 'realize' this already, yet smugly watch the predictable replay One More Time:

these (we??) are the genuine 'criminals' who deny the species survival from a merely comfortable, reasonably-safe 'present' - when we remain silent, do Not Make Waves\ufffd. Risk nothing.

As aforementioned Sages also 'say':
We Are responsible for what we (ever manage to dis-cover) Know = the perhaps huge danger of ever inquiring beyond mere overt appearances. (BTW - every 'Sage' indeed expresses This Caveat starkly.. to those 'students' who think.. they Want to Know Stuff \ufffd)

Of course too.. we can all just go back to sleep, check out the colors of leather in the new UAV seats.. and get that new DVD. Hey! it ain't in My job description.

Ashton

ZZzzzzzzzzzz...Huh? Oh..zzzzzzz
     A little web research - US and Iraq & why gulf war - (dmarker2) - (18)
         Human nature. - (Brandioch) - (5)
             Re: Human nature - is there a meaningful answer - (dmarker2) - (4)
                 Yes and No. - (Brandioch) - (3)
                     Re: Yes and No - nice clear cut logic - good points ... - (dmarker) - (2)
                         Forecast? - (Brandioch)
                         Beyond logic, then. - (Ashton)
         Other reasons for war - (JayMehaffey) - (11)
             I have this *exact* answer for you, from an Expert: - (Ashton)
             Re: Other reasons for war - (dmarker2) - (2)
                 Re: Other reasons for war - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                     Re: Nice response - well researched - (dmarker2)
             Yet another reason... - (Simon_Jester) - (6)
                 Canadian astrophysicist Gerald Bull - (Ashton) - (5)
                     Re: Gerald Bull - theories on who shot him - (dmarker2)
                     I prefer this link myself... - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                         Then how about this - with a neat M$ jibe too: - (Ashton) - (2)
                             Re: Thanks Ashton. I remember reading... - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                 PBS did a piece on Armstrong - (Ashton)

Nature has its own cure for stupidity.
84 ms