IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Retiree funds . .
. . have no business investing in high risk "high growth" stocks. If they do, then someone is "guilty" and should be held liable. Unfortunately, "investment professionals" have built walls between themselves and retribution, which should be torn down. It'll take a few disasters to do that, and to engender any sense of due diligance after so long a winning streak.

Whether Microsoft is worse than other monopolies or not is irrelevant to this discussion, which was about Enron, WorldCom and the like - clear cases of theft by fraud (creative accounting). These frauds will result in reforms, which will work for a little while, until the crooks master the new game.

Microsoft, on the other hand, wants to control every aspect of my life and work. They want a cut on every financial transaction and want to control what I can access on the Internet and how I access it, what news and what entertainment is made available to the public through other media. They fully intend to control what technologies are avaialable and from whom they are available.

Microsoft has clearly stated, by the revenue growth projections they have released, that they fully intent to monopolize the market for accounting and business management software except in the largest companies (that comes later). Since their stated intent is to move this monopoly to .NET services, they will be in a position to hold the continued existance of any business hostage.

Bill Gates has stated he intends to own the digital rights to every work of art in the world. He has already bought the largest photo archive in existance, and ended access to most of it. Only the parts he says are accessable can be seen by the public or by publishers. He owns the rights to digital presentation of all the works in the National Museum, among many others. Since nearly all future publication will be by digital means, Bill Gates will control all publication.

This is not the sum total, but only a few examples of what is going on.

The desire to control every aspect of my life (and yours) is far more serious than a few crooks stealing money, even on a grand scale. Stolen money returns to the economy one way or another. If not, then it was an illusion anyway and not much was actually stolen. Freedom never returns without a long and generally bloody struggle resulting in many deaths and destroyed lives.

If money is more important to you than freedom, then yes, Enron is (to you) worse than Microsoft.

[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Strong disagreement on your leading point
Retiree funds have no business investing in high risk "high growth" stocks. If they do, then someone is "guilty" and should be held liable.

Bull.

A balanced portfolio of risky investments (note: investments, not gambles) in the long-run (20 years +) is virtually guaranteed to massively outperform any other kind of investment.

Given that that is the kind of time period that retirement funds are aimed at, there is every reason to so invest retirement money, and people should have every right to insist that their retirement funds be so invested.

Note that putting it all into your company is hardly "balanced", but that is another story.

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New Balanced depending on age
If I were 55+, I'd want most of my retiree fund to be in conservative funds.

If I were 20, I'd wouldn't mind a good percentage of relatively high risk stuff.

In the middle, I'm thinking of cutting down on "growth" stocks and going more into milder stocks with far fewer "risky" stuff.
Famous last RPG quotes: "I'll just shoot this fireball down the dungeon passageway..."
New Exactly right
Your investment profile and projected needs should balance. Stocks are a long-term investment, a short-term gamble. Decide your term before investing.

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
     Outraged observer from afar - (dmarker2) - (41)
         Win95 comments - (wharris2)
         Hmmm.. - (bepatient)
         Everyone else is doing it, so it's not so bad? - (marlowe)
         Re: Outraged observer from afar - (kmself)
         Death from a thousand cuts - (drewk)
         Simple and straight forward - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
             Re: Simple and straight forward - (dmarker2) - (9)
                 Perception vs. reality - (drewk)
                 Retiree funds . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                     Strong disagreement on your leading point - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         Balanced depending on age - (wharris2) - (1)
                             Exactly right - (ben_tilly)
                 Maybe, maybe not - (wharris2) - (3)
                     Book Roasting - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Re: Interesting - that point discussed on Aust TV last night - (dmarker2) - (1)
                         Of course the system is flawed. - (static)
         M$ has been the *Model* for the growth in rapacity. - (Ashton) - (2)
             Speaking of Ed Curry - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 Speaking of Ed Curry...again - (folkert)
         I will take some flame. - (mmoffitt) - (21)
             Oh yea? - (boxley) - (4)
                 Yeah. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                     same way anyone else does X:Y co-ordinates -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                         80x25 char based? :-) - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                             1024X768 :) - (boxley)
             Hello, Toast. - (CRConrad) - (15)
                 Amen, brother... - (jb4) - (6)
                     "Kylix". Here's a linky-thingy: - (CRConrad) - (5)
                         Hey all, retry that link - Kylix 3 is out! (OP *and* C++!) - (CRConrad) - (4)
                             I'll pass for now - (orion) - (2)
                                 Double hmmmm - (orion) - (1)
                                     Dunno, but at a guess, the same thing as with v. 2: - (CRConrad)
                             Hoo--fscking--RAAAAYY!!!! - (jb4)
                 I bought Kylix. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     "De gustibus non est disputandum" - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         Thanks for the links. - (mmoffitt)
                 Re: Hello, Toast. - (jake123) - (4)
                     Yeah, maybe... But does rexx have a zero-effort GUI builder? -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                         It used to, anyway - (imric) - (2)
                             GpfRexx too. Rather unfortunate name, that. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Efforts are underfoot to get Sybase to open source vx-rexx - (jake123)

What's the point of being heavily armed if you can't be impulsive? I mean, really...
78 ms