IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Link isn't working, but just a comment
The incidence of home invasions, robbery, violent crime, etc. *has* apparently increased but (if I remember the latest stats) is still lower than the U.S.

It is true, however, that criminals seem to have no problem getting guns (as if they even cared about gun control laws), even if they have to make them or smuggle them in from Mexico, while in many places honest law-abiding citizens can't get a license with or without a background check at all.
Famous last RPG quotes: "I'll just shoot this fireball down the dungeon passageway..."
New Londoners 25% more likely to be mugged
than a New Yorker, according to [link|http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=1350|When Guns Are Banned] which references a London Times article.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New I've seen that before.
From the article:
Pistols that had been in families for generations -- I know of one that that had been in the battle of Trafalgar -- as well as single shot Olympic pistols, were confiscated by the government for pennies on the dollar, all in the cause of public safety.
Okay, so the government took away pistols that would NOT be used for self defense.

Since that draconian gun law was passed as a response to the Dunblane schoolyard massacre, the crime rate has skyrocketed and according to the London Sunday Times of March 10, 2002, it is very easy to buy an illegal gun on the streets of London if you have a few hundred pounds.
So, were those Olympic pistols and historical relics keeping the bad guys at bay?

The journalist, Adam Nathan, reports, "an Albanian gang in north London wanted ₤200 for the Italian made .22 gun with six rounds of ammunition. One of its six chambers had been drilled through to enable it to hold a full-size round." Nathan avoided purchasing the modified starter pistol because it was "seriously defective," but the gang operating from a car wash offered him other handguns from their selection of converted replicas and fully automatic machine guns.
₤200 for a converted starter pistol? Is that right?

[link|http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1842086163|eBay]

Now that's one hell of a markup. :)

Making them illegal will not get rid of them. It will just drive up the price.

The British Home Office reports that handgun crime is at its highest since 1993, while overall gun crimes have never been higher.

-and-
Although much of the gun violence is related to gang warfare and the illicit drug trade, petty criminals are now using guns during common street crime.
Again, there are issues OTHER than the banning of guns at work here.

Criminal use of handguns since the 1997 ban has jumped by 40 percent. According to Associated Press, "Dave Rodgers, vice chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation, said the ban made little difference to the number of guns in the hands of criminals." He acknowledged, "The underground supply of guns does not seem to have dried up at all."
I always wonder at police officers who believe that because something is illegal, this means that the criminals (people who behave in illegal manners) will not have access to it.

When you can take a $13 target pistol, drill it out and sell it for $300 (converted Pounds), someone is going be going to open a new business.

The politicians and the gun banners won\ufffdt acknowledge that banning guns doesn\ufffdt stop criminals from misusing guns.
That's right. Unless you can stop all illegal imports of guns. All it does is drive up the price.

When the markup on a $13 starter pistol is 2200%.......

Instead of focusing on the guns, look at why there is increased gang and drug activity. If you can find the root of the problem and deal with that, people won't be interested in buying $300 starter pistols.

Is crime increasing?
Why?

Are more guns being used in crimes?
Why?

And don't say it's because the criminals don't have to worry about being shot by their victims. It's cheaper to buy a knife and just as effective a threat. As long as you know your victim won't be carrying a gun.
     Gun Control doesnt work - (boxley) - (5)
         Link isn't working, but just a comment - (wharris2) - (2)
             Londoners 25% more likely to be mugged - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                 I've seen that before. - (Brandioch)
         Book to read: - (Yendor)
         Here's the fixed link - (drewk)

It didn’t ruin my childhood, but it did aggressively strip-mine several shallow deposits of nostalgia.
139 ms