IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New back went completely out at work today
leaned the wrong way in the chair and snap, on my knees. Back brace, heavy narcotics, muscle relaxants and anti inflammitories. No problem. Quackopractor problem, insurance dont cover that. Insane.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New That happens to me quite a bit.
1) Stop slouching in your chair. No, you do too. ;-)
2) The chiropractor helped alot. Fortunately, my insurance covered it. The drugs and other crap just exacerbates the condition.
3) Start doing back exercises and stretches.
4) Get up and walk around every 30 minutes at work. Set a timer if you need to.

Interesting explanation as to the cause of the collapse: according to my doctor, there are organelles in the muscles of the back that act as strain gauges. If a muscle detects too much strain, it sends a signal to the brain that causes all of your muscles to go limp immediately. Hence, the collapse.

Also, there are nerves in the joints that turn off every time the joint flexes. If you try to move a joint and it doesn't move, the nerves don't turn off, and you feel pain. Most back problems of that nature can be attributed to insufficient flexibility. I have a series of vertebrae in my lower back with decreased range of motion due to an old injury.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Old problem reappearing
solution would be to lose that dead turkey my youngest boy thinks is in my stomach :)
dont usually sit too much at work and I am usually carefull about posture. I think my back "trusted" the egonomic chair back i use. Used to stock sheetrock for a living as well as other hard core construction activity. My lower spine at 30 was described by a radiologist as belonging to a 50 year old. That was 15 yrs ago. Back to lose some weight, get in the pool and extend mobility. The docs want to cut but I say no way.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New Gah, surgery is a last resort
Usually ends up screwing things worse too.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Seconded
I once worked with a guy ... Nah, you don't need horror stories.

Good luck gettin' the chiropractor paid. Best thing my dad ever did was go to one. Well, second best thing. The best thing was that time he lost 45 pounds. Of course, it was because he was recovering from a heart attack.

So yeah, lose the weight before you let anyone cut. Getting healthy and fit is always better than western medicine.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New Oops, this was a re-post (Move along, nothing to see here)
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Expand Edited by drewk Aug. 10, 2001, 08:41:43 AM EDT
New Forgot to say:
I hope you feel better soon. There's not much that's worse than back pain. :-(
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Ouch. My sympathies!

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait

• Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
New Sorry to hear that, Box!
If misery loves company, I developed a lower back problem Sunday.

Ibuprofen and stretching exercises is my solution. It takes a while, but I've been through this before.

Don't slouch or bend over when picking up stuff. Get lumbar support for your chairs.
Alex

Only two things are certain: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not certain about the universe.
-- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
New Amen to that
I've done a manual handling trainer's course, and the number of people I see picking up 17 inch monitors, from a standing position, when I could put a pint on their backs, is quite staggering.

People, learn to pick stuff up properly. If you're over about 25 years of age (or in not-perfect physical shape), don't bend down to pick up that tenner you dropped, bend your knees. When picking up heavier stuff, squat down and ensure your back is no more than 30 degrees from vertical. Push up from the legs.

Sheesh.

I swear that highly technical people think that manual handling is something other people do. Well, they think that right up until their back says "no more!" when they're dragging their PC across the desk from a sitting position :)
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New Sorry to hear that
But at least you get to enjoy some narcotics legally. Small comfort, I know, but you take those silver linings wherever you find them.
"When it crosses my mind to do something, I don't ask why, I ask why not. And usually there's no reason not to, so I just go ahead. It's given me the strangest collection of hats"
New yea but why waste them on pain? :)
Chuck Palahniuk
New Cackle.. cackle.. - voice o' the non-Puritan heard
New Hang in there. Like the others, I hope it's better soon.
New Doooooooooooh!
What small turkey? There was no turkey there when you visited me!
-YendorMike

(It was a small angus. :)

(And get better soon!)
New Hang in there!
And I echo the sentiments re: surgery, at least until all else fails, but I suspect you get chiropractic care and exercise you'll feel a lot better.
-----
Steve, Who is looking at his own dead turkey and whining about back pain..
New Weather?
I have problems with my hip. Usually, it's a mild discomfort. But when the weather changes (it went rainy today) it's like sandpaper in the joint. Ow. Ow.
New nope weather is my neck and knees :)
this is an old problem with 2 weak deteriorated disks.
thanx,
bill
Chuck Palahniuk
New But as you are likely aware
in the end it really is the muscle-tone which keeps the entire structure er 'load-bearing' (bad discs certainly complicate but - there are the usual stories of how even that can be somewhat compensated-for..) Bones, gristle n'stuff are just spacers in the "space-frame". Like a Birdcage Maserati chassis!

The *luck* you (we all!) need is always - in sticking to the utterly boring small exercises which really do alleviate! (But even when I Know that... :[

Can only second\ufffd the surgery common thread: DON'T let them - it's the worst option AMA-medicine has to offer. For each "wonderfully improved" result (unless it's changed dramatically since Wednesday) -- hundreds of miserable, irreversible Albatrosses needed to be carried around neck for the duration.

(But you knew that).

It's prolly just yer orneriness and meanness showin up in the bones :-\ufffd
New when you fuse 2 discs you apply all that tension
point to the weaker 2 on each side the next thing you know you are in a body brace.
thanx,
bill
Chuck Palahniuk
New Good luck, man!
Don't have time to write much, but OUCH!
     back went completely out at work today - (boxley) - (20)
         That happens to me quite a bit. - (admin) - (4)
             Old problem reappearing - (boxley) - (3)
                 Gah, surgery is a last resort - (admin) - (2)
                     Seconded - (drewk)
                     Oops, this was a re-post (Move along, nothing to see here) -NT - (drewk)
         Forgot to say: - (admin)
         Ouch. My sympathies! -NT - (imric)
         Sorry to hear that, Box! - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Amen to that - (pwhysall)
         Sorry to hear that - (DonRichards) - (2)
             yea but why waste them on pain? :) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 Cackle.. cackle.. - voice o' the non-Puritan heard -NT - (Ashton)
         Hang in there. Like the others, I hope it's better soon. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Doooooooooooh! - (Yendor)
         Hang in there! - (Steve Lowe)
         Weather? - (wharris2) - (3)
             nope weather is my neck and knees :) - (boxley) - (2)
                 But as you are likely aware - (Ashton) - (1)
                     when you fuse 2 discs you apply all that tension - (boxley)
         Good luck, man! - (inthane-chan)

Using this formulation, the cat can be dead and deader.
129 ms