IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I miss those days
...where there was true differentiation and choice between operating systems.

I don’t like the current trajectory we’re on, which is towards a Linux monoculture akin to the MS dominance of the late 90s/early 00s.
New So you're telling me we won?
I was using Linux as a competitor to sco unix when Linux was still pre-1.0 release. I was deeply involved in the battles of NT on the servers as they were trying to take over the Sun Unix space. Os/2 lost on the politics before it was even given a chance to shine.

I paid attention to that silly little war map that changed every 6 months. Are you telling me it's over? Linux won? By monoculture, I assume you mean Red hat.

I find it interesting. I've been out of the game for 10 years so it doesn't affect me directly, but it sure beats the alternative of giant NT clusters running the back ends for everything.
New uh, no
aws won if you can call it that. Linux in its current form (rhel8) is a security riddled mess
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New RHEL8 is a mess but it isn't all there is to Linux.
Are you talking about Amazon Linux 2? It's based on Fedora/CentOS, but changed enough at this point to be its own thing.

Plenty of Debian, Ubuntu, Alpine, etc. out there too. We use non-AWS linux in Lambda as images.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New my reference to aws was market share not usefullness :-)
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
     ICYMI, short Ars article on MS OS/2 2.0 - (Another Scott) - (6)
         I remember those days. - (a6l6e6x)
         I miss those days - (pwhysall) - (4)
             So you're telling me we won? - (crazy) - (3)
                 uh, no - (boxley) - (2)
                     RHEL8 is a mess but it isn't all there is to Linux. - (malraux) - (1)
                         my reference to aws was market share not usefullness :-) -NT - (boxley)

Maybe this thing does have "macros".
51 ms