1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New But Vegas got hammered
--

Drew
New Friends in Las Vegas.
They emailed at 9:00 pm Las Vegas time, saying things weren't at all bad there. Of course things may have gotten worse later, but they're 200 feet higher than the Strip and not in a flood prone location - those are all downhill, but they flood bad as there is no effective drainage system.

Here, the fairly heavy rain tapered off to medium by 11:00 pm and was gone by 6:00am this morning. The wind, probably no more than 10 mph, only lasted about an hour.

The Mojave Desert will be greatly effected. It usually just gets a few sudden "gully washers" with all the water draining off within minutes. This time it got at least 24 hours of steady rain, long enough to sink into the ground.

The earthquake was so weak here I thought what I was feeling was an earthquake, but couldn't be sure. My hanging pans were dead still. A bit later I went into my office and saw an "Earthquake Detected" warning on my cell phone,with instructions on surviving it. Nice of those folks to send this after the earthquake.
New It's good that a 5.1 magnitude earthquake is inconsequential to you.
It's not true in some parts of the world.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Re: It's good that a 5.1 magnitude earthquake is inconsequential to you.
Well, it was up in Ojai, a ways from here. Also, the narrow valley I live in was created by a fault (dorment for a few million years) so things got pretty crushed up. The ground is shattered rotten granite, which doesn't propagate earthquake waves very well.

At the rather serious Sylmar earthquake, one family in there just grabbed some stuff and headed back to the Midwest, I think it was Cleveland. They figured they'd just send for their stuff. They settled into a motel - and then Cleveland had its first earthquake in a great many years. It was very mild (by California standards), but disturbed a lot of people there - and they knew who to blame for bringing it.
     TOTALLY DISAPPOINTING! - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
         Almost as disappointing as her run in 2016... -NT - (malraux) - (1)
             Yeah, I noticed that one too. -NT - (CRConrad)
         The storm center is running east of you. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Finally, at 7:30 pm . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         But Vegas got hammered -NT - (drook) - (3)
             Friends in Las Vegas. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 It's good that a 5.1 magnitude earthquake is inconsequential to you. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     Re: It's good that a 5.1 magnitude earthquake is inconsequential to you. - (Andrew Grygus)
         I heard Burning Man might be in trouble. - (static)
         NWS says it broke nearly all rainfall daily records. - (malraux) - (1)
             Yes, but that's for August . . . - (Andrew Grygus)

Drink and the Devil have done for the rest!
71 ms