Where there's frogs there's snakes.

I used to catch snakes for fun. I'd wander the woods and turn over rocks and when they moved I grabbed. I typically get bit a lot and s*** on a lot and not care. Sometimes. I'd keep them in a tank for a few days and they would calm down and they would be handled with no problem.

But I had to travel for those snakes. I never caught a snake near my house. I'd have to ride a bike for miles to get there. It was a joy to visit a friend's house by a stream.

M calls out from outside for me. You want to see a snake? Sure!

Note: I have the perfect wife. She goes to work but not too much. She took the cat to the vet this morning for an appointment. She actually enjoys cooking and playing with recipes and she does it well. She's out cutting the grass. And she finds snakes for me.

So I scamper down and review the snake that isn't moving. She: I hope I didn't hurt it. Uh oh.

I pick it up with stick and see the head is almost fully decapitated. Yep, you hurt it. Don't worry, it's probably one of a 100 in the local vicinity. After all we have lots of frogs to feed them.

She replies: that'll teach it to stay out of the tall grass. I respond:. But that's exactly where snakes are supposed to be, but then you turn it into short grass.

I love living on a property that contains snakes. Little itty bitty (foot long or so) garter snakes to start off with, we shall see what else.