IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Got an old boat
76 Raven 200. Cheap. Practically free. Included the trailer. Lovely young couple who are entering a new phase in their life, IE: there's a baby on the way, and the guy has to give up his hobby. They just needed to dump the boat.

Holy s***. I'm going to die on the water. It may look gentle on my very protected inland beach but very quickly those seas get rough. We are in an area that the boat rental companies refuse to be in. They lose too many boats.

I might not even make it to the water. I might die dealing with this trailer holding this boat. I'm going to throw a lot of money away on the mechanic. I got him to deliver it and back it down into my very long driveway. I have to get my safety certificate which means I have to take classes. There is a woman who is certified to come teach me on my boat. I have to get a vehicle capable of moving this thing. And not just moving it. Holding the weight while backing it down a very steep angle into the water. So something large and heavy.

I say I but M is truly the one driving this process and will be responsible for pretty much arranging everything. And when we're on the water she can be in charge of the life and death decisions because if she kills me she can bring me back, she's a nurse. She also has been reading up on that crab book so she can tell me which crabs to keep and which crabs to toss back.

She thinks this is all easy. I think of Gilligan's Island if I'm lucky. And I am not qualified to touch this huge inboard motor or bilge pump or blower or dual battery charging system or propeller lift which is currently flaky. The guy who owned this boat is in the Navy. This toy was his life but it needs babying.

I need to add additional seats. Flip down benches most likely. I need both passenger space and crab pot space but not at the same time. It's got a single movable chest/ bench. I need to get a backup electric motor for when the ancient motor dies when I am out on the water.

I need to get some serious radio gear. For when everything dies. It came with a GPS that he never used and has no manual. He used his phone. Maybe that's good enough.

I need an inflatable safety boat with a small motor. There will come the moment that this thing sinks. I'm going to need emergency warmth suits. This is cold water.

This is in the q&a forum simply because I want to know who has boating experience? Anyone here?

The guy spent an hour going through the various controls and showing me how things work and starting up the motor. The cover itself is complex. I'm thinking there will be a garage for this thing in its future. During this process M talked to his wife and their large dog ran around my yard.

I got deer. And at that moment one of my dear decided to visit. And it walked up to the dog and practically head butt it. Dog goes into chase mode. Dog chases deer around the yard for about a minute and then the deer jumps over the fence that the dog can't go over. Dog runs around crazy and then finally settles down.

And then the deer came back. And just f***** with this dog. It came within a few feet of the dog and then turn and ran as if to ask him to chase him knowing full well that he was in charge. And the dog fell for it.

The deer did this three or four times.
New Rust removal. Chemical recommendations?
The trailer hitch mechanism needed a sledgehammer to pull apart. Step one is to simply remove the rust and see if it will work cleanly.

There are a bazillion rust removal, chemical options. Anybody got any preference?
New Re: Rust removal. Chemical recommendations?
This seemed to work well to clean up a "stainless" shower caddy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M0TLQ66

Note that it's not fast for thick rust. Ideally you want to soak it in the stuff for a day or so, keeping it wet the whole time. I don't know what's in it, but it's not obviously smelly (to me) and doesn't seem especially caustic.

Is there a paint/body shop you can take it to? Some of them used to have large vats of stuff that they could soak frames in, etc., when doing a full car restoration before repainting. Works great, as long as it is **thoroughly** rinsed before painting.

HTH a little. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Ordered
I'm going to have to come up with some side entrance configuration environment though. This is a trailer hitch sticking outside ways. It will not be dipped in anything unless I totally enclose it in something.
New wd40 crap load, a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into
what is length of boat, hull configuration, email me a pic
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New 19 ft. I have no idea what whole configuration means.
Google:1976 Raven 200 boat

I'll send pics in a bit 22222
New ok found it online
near shore bobber. Is the decking (floor) have any soft spots? have all needed safety equipment? Life vests, fire extinguisher, flares etc. VHS radio
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Re: ok found it online
Can't tell you about softness of deck right now. It has life jackets and fire extinguisher but no radio. I have to add that. Didn't see a flare. I will go get a flare gun.
New A lot of the restoration channels on YouTube use Evapo-rust.
New Already ordered
Evapo-Rust ER012 Super Safe Rust Remover – 128 oz., Non Toxic Rust Remover for Auto Parts, Hardware, Antiques | Rust Removers and Chemicals https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M0TLQ66/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_AAHXD05GMMBZ6K0DRV8V
New I do enjoy the fact that...
Americans won't spell things like us Brits, but they will use our anachronistic medieval units that even we have decided are a bit shit :D
New Coca Cola? Naah, probably urban myth.
New Works pretty good on surface rust, not sure about heavy stuff
--

Drew
New It's a weak (phosphoric?) acid
Vinegar works too.

Just takes a while.
Expand Edited by pwhysall May 25, 2022, 11:00:03 AM EDT
New Several types of acid.
Phosphoric, citric and carbonic are the main three.
New What I know about boats:
1. Make friends with somebody who owns a boat.
2. Under no circumstances should you EVER buy a boat yourself.
Ceterum autem censeo pars Republican esse delendam.
New Totally aware.
Yet I did it anyway. M wanted a boat. M got a boat.
New Re: using the phone
If you stay within the inlet you'll probably stay in range of cell towers. The shoreline by us is mostly cliff, so once you get about a half-mile out you're out of line-of-sight for the northernmost towers.

tl;dr Don't rely on cell phones until you've personally surveyed coverage.
--

Drew
New I thought the phone had a real GPS, not just tower triangulation
I'm not expecting to use the phone for communications. I understand I need a real radio in this boat. But for straight GPS? The phone should work.
New Oh, for the GPS yeah, I meant communication
Though if I were using it just for GPS I'd put it in airplane mode so it doesn't kill the battery constantly searching for a signal.
--

Drew
New Re: Got an old boat
A fambly member who has a boat described the ownership experience to me as "like standing fully-dressed under a cold shower, tearing up $100 bills".
New I rowed a dinghy once, ask me anything!
Naah, actually mucked about on boats a little, but only ever as a passenger / deckhand, never captain. (Let alone owner!)

One thing I do know, having read too much Hornblower (and Bolitho etc) in my teens, are the names of most of the various ropes on sailing vessels. The best bit of this knowledge is that: Sometimes, when you know them better than the actual owner/captain, you can annoy them by using the correct term when they ask you to "pull on that rope there" -- "You mean the foresail reef?" But the general method, in case they know them, is of course to go all "You mean this piece of string or that piece of string?" You can drive your friends Captain Haddock apoplectic that way.

[EDIT:] Hmm, come to think of it, I haven't got all that many invitations to come be a deckhand in recent years. I wonder why... [/EDIT]
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
Expand Edited by CRConrad May 25, 2022, 06:59:04 PM EDT
     Got an old boat - (crazy) - (21)
         Rust removal. Chemical recommendations? - (crazy) - (13)
             Re: Rust removal. Chemical recommendations? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Ordered - (crazy)
             wd40 crap load, a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into - (boxley) - (3)
                 19 ft. I have no idea what whole configuration means. - (crazy) - (2)
                     ok found it online - (boxley) - (1)
                         Re: ok found it online - (crazy)
             A lot of the restoration channels on YouTube use Evapo-rust. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 Already ordered - (crazy) - (1)
                     I do enjoy the fact that... - (pwhysall)
             Coca Cola? Naah, probably urban myth. -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                 Works pretty good on surface rust, not sure about heavy stuff -NT - (drook)
                 It's a weak (phosphoric?) acid - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Several types of acid. - (static)
         What I know about boats: - (InThane) - (1)
             Totally aware. - (crazy)
         Re: using the phone - (drook) - (2)
             I thought the phone had a real GPS, not just tower triangulation - (crazy) - (1)
                 Oh, for the GPS yeah, I meant communication - (drook)
         Re: Got an old boat - (pwhysall)
         I rowed a dinghy once, ask me anything! - (CRConrad)

It is a weapon of mass distraction to keep us away from the real issues at hand.
89 ms