IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Snake oil / placebo or a real therapy?
I see all kinds of claims from the benefit of exposing the human body to infrared light. Some claims say it has to be specific wavelengths, others don't mention it.

Some claims are by doctors from as far back 7 years ago, others have some nice research papers but what am my to be able to judge whether or not they are accurate.

Yesterday I moved a table. Dining room table from downstairs to upstairs. I had to take the legs off first. They were almost too heavy for me to move. I waited until I found a sucker to show up and visit for a few minutes and ask if you could help me move the table. Big guy. He said sure.

Up and around the steps, grunting and sweating and resting every step and a half. I was at top because I was going to let him hold the weight when I drop it. It actually got coordinated well and we got it up there, without smashing the table or the wall or the shiplap which would have just destroyed the table because the shiplap is tough, yay!

I'm sure I dislocated my right shoulder a couple of times in the process, but I dislocate my shoulders all the time. No big deal, shove it back in and keep pulling that goddamn table. I'll suffer for a few months for now as it attempts to rebuild the tendons but that's just the way it is.

I'm sure I totally f***** up my lower right back in the process. Last time I felt this particular pain in this particular area it took about 8 years to finally smooth out. And an hour after moving the table that specific area dropped me. I crawled around for a while and use my arms to lift myself back up and then pull on that shoulder again.

And then I remembered about the articles on infrared lights for injuries. So I grabbed 150 watt reptile light and jury rigged some insane contraption to allow it to shine close to me.

I spent about 6 hours twisting and turning in front of it letting it bathe the particular area and then carefully switch and positions and letting it move on until I cooked all my joints that I thought had a hint of damage. I turned it off and 4 hours later woke up and did it for another hour.

Then I got out of bed and was able to walk with no problem. Sure I have old man aches and pains but all the searing points that I was pretty sure that I was going to have to endure some recovery time over are not screaming at me. Deep within my shoulder it's still a problem so now I've hooked 300 watts to shine there for a while.

Heat therapy or is this something more? Heat therapy and warm water or warm pads don't do infrared. It's a different kind of heat and a different kind of pathway excitation. At least according to what I've read.

If not b******* then it comes down to wavelengths. Which ones trigger the chemical reaction.

If it comes down to specifically wavelengths how do I know if these reptile lights are kicking those wavelengths out? I can feel heat but that could come from a whole bunch of different wavelengths. I'm not going to pay for the quantum color meter. I can't find any specs on line for what these ceramic emitters kick out as far as wavelengths.

Can anyone track down the information on what these generic ceramic emitters typically kick out?
New Glad you found something that works for you.
IR heaters are very simple - the light out is described by black body (or more accurately, grey body) radiation that mostly depends on the temperature. Cooler temperature gives longer wavelengths (lower energy).

https://freek-heaters.com/products/infrared-heaters/long-wave-ceramic-infrared-emitters/ has more details.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New To me, IR is just radiated heat.
The heat source is not touching you, but your body is receiving it, consuming it, and converting to heat that yous feel. That's how campfires warm us. But, we are not totally opaque to IR so it goes in deeper into the body. And if you think about how oximeters work, some of it can go through us. Or, at least our finger.

While air is pretty much transparent to IR, as I recall there are some IR frequencies that are consumed by the atmosphere and do not make it from the sun to the earth's surface.

If you used an electric heating pad on the same area of your body, it would have a similar same effect on your body. But, you would be hottest at the outer skin layer and further in heated up by heat conduction.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Way different
They actually take human generated body heat in special clothing and convert it to infrared and send it back to you. The wavelengths count. For what they're trying to do they use ones that generate very little heat, at least that's what they're trying to do, but hit these particular wavelengths that have biological stimulating effects.

On the larger scale they have those magic wands or full body machines. On the surgical scale they try to stick fiber optics at specific locations for the light stimulation.

Either way my use of a heat lamp would pick up a slight amount of the biologically active wavelengths (If it is producing any, not even sure it produces anything within the correct range) as well as cooking me.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5505738/
New Clearly, I do not know anything about IR's biological effects.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     Snake oil / placebo or a real therapy? - (crazy) - (4)
         Glad you found something that works for you. - (Another Scott)
         To me, IR is just radiated heat. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             Way different - (crazy) - (1)
                 Clearly, I do not know anything about IR's biological effects. -NT - (a6l6e6x)

Have you ever noticed that everything you sit on feels like underpants?
52 ms