IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Be sure to let us know whose scheme worked better.
I too have trouble understanding how a plant can just be floating in a uniform solution of various chemicals and decide where to and how to expand.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New What's the diff -- isn't soil just a *solid* "uniform solution of various chemicals"?
New I don't think that it has to be uniform.
It's why plowing makes difference.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Yeah, but in the ideal case? You plow it to make it more uniform, AIUI.
New Leaves go up roots go down.
I used to actually know the various chemical and light triggers that cause this but I long since forgot.

Edit:

So I seemed to recall that ethylene gas was a major factor.

Yup. Which then led me to this.

This is a very good starting point.

https://untamedscience.com/biology/plants/plant-growth-hormones/

Roots don't have to go very far, roots are going in search of water and nutrients. If they do not need to grow to achieve the nutrient mass required to feed the leaves then they will essentially slow down. Normally the root mass equals the upper half of the plant mass but that is not in the case of hydroponics because they don't have to go to work to get their food or water.

My problem with hydroponics is you have to pay so close attention to the pH balance and the parts per million of the nutrients and each plant has a different optimal level. What's perfect for one might be totally wrong for another. If your water gets too hot or too cold overnight they will all die. If you use too much of any particular nutrient they will sick and some will die die. Dirt is much more forgiving. Dirt is essentially a living buffer for anything I might screw up.

It's been a couple of days and the turnips are all popping up as well as some broccoli and some cabbage and some lettuce.

I initially thought I horribly screwed up because I mixed the mycorrhizal fungus in with the dirt in general because I did not have that much of it. Typically I drop a couple pellets in the seed hole and it all grows together with the seed and the roots. At this point I have white fungus all over the place that I initially thought I just have to trash it all over and then I realized it was my beneficial fungus.
Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 28, 2021, 06:29:03 AM EDT
Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 28, 2021, 06:31:44 AM EDT
Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 28, 2021, 06:44:40 AM EDT
New Confirms how I remember when I first read about it
It's more efficient, but harder to manage. Reminds me of our current supply chains: Highly optimized and fragile. How's that workout out for us?
--

Drew
New It's not floating.
Hydroponic setups typically have the plants firmly anchored between the stem and the roots. So the plant is held in position. Usually the roots go through a large basket holding the base of the root mass and the rest trail in the liquid solution.
New That makes sense.
Alex

-- Isaac Asimov
     I just spent a day planting - (crazy) - (9)
         Be sure to let us know whose scheme worked better. - (a6l6e6x) - (7)
             What's the diff -- isn't soil just a *solid* "uniform solution of various chemicals"? -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                 I don't think that it has to be uniform. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     Yeah, but in the ideal case? You plow it to make it more uniform, AIUI. -NT - (CRConrad)
             Leaves go up roots go down. - (crazy) - (1)
                 Confirms how I remember when I first read about it - (drook)
             It's not floating. - (crazy) - (1)
                 That makes sense. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         I enjoy watching the different rows pop up - (crazy)

We're not going to play any mature games, are we?
97 ms