IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Makes me ask a question....
How could they get people to use this in the first place?

My point is that there is a strong network effect. If nobody uses it, then you don't want to be first. (If you were then turning it off would be a high priority.) Conversely if everyone else had it, it would suck to be locked out. Right now we are in the first state.

My take is that they will put it into a release, but have a default where it is not turned on until a key date a couple of years afterwards. That way they get their technology widely distributed and then suddenly a significant marketshare shifts...

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New By dangling
the promise of "no spam, no viruses, no accountability ('bad' emails and posts will expire), but complete security" in front of the masses.

Disturbingly easy. Most people don't expect software to actually deliver on it's promises anymore, so Palladium desn't even have to work.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New But that only works until...
grandma asks why she can't read Jr's email. (I am assuming here the common policy where young adults buy a new computer and hands the old one off to a convenient relative.)

I really think that my proposal is how they would get the ball rolling. (And as the day approached, there would be a beat of publicity talking about how great it was all going to be, etc.)

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New Possibly! Windows Update, anyone?

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Critical article on this to read...
[link|http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html|This one]. As The Register [link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25940.html|says], you should read it several times a week until further notice.

Ubiquitous DRM is closer than you think. :-(

Cheers,
Ben
--Richard Feynman
New Now, is this really so bad?
It says you can turn TPCA off - so what does that do? It cuts you off from Disney, Britney Spears, The Spice Girls, Nsync and other mass culture entertainment you just absolutely must have - cheerfully provided by a totally greedy and corrupt system.

It forces you to face the root of the problem - the need to create a new distribution system that bypasses this whole mess. Of course, the new distribution system will need to develop it's own content, because the stuff you want now all belongs to the old system.

So how can that content be built? By creating a system that returns a much higher portion of the proceeds to the creators of content (artists). Since 98% could do better financially by working within the new system, independents would do so, and others after their contracts expire - only the current stars and wanabes would stick with the old system. Eventually, the old system will change or expire.

That's what needs to be done - and I'm sure it's doable - technically. In reality it's purest fantasy, because a huge (and extremely vocal) contingent of the "Internet community" feels that everything that can be distributed electronically must be free. They have absolutely not the slightest interest in seeing that the content creators are fairly compensated and will work to subvert and steal from any new system just as much as from the old. By definition, anyone trying to charge money for what can be stolen so easily is greedy and corrupt.

Screw the lot - they deserve TPCA, the RIAA and the MPAA - for every predator there is a rightful prey. Personally, I'm pretty sure I can live without Nsync (whoever the hell they are).
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Yes it is so bad
Being cut off from mass culture doesn't bother me much. I have been cut off from mass culture for most of my life, and the exceptions to that have not sufficed to convince me to bother being a normal consumer.

However even so I am not immune from mass culture. My wife is less willing than I am to forgo all of it, and so I have to accept some influence. Ditto for co-workers and employers.

Also about your thieves comments. I don't know that it is so black and white. The Grateful Dead's experience has been widely quoted. They are not alone. When people feel good about contributing, they tend to contribute quite a bit more than most think they would. When you make people feel that you are out to screw them, they try to screw you first. People are continuously amazed at the generosity of strangers when said strangers have been properly motivated.

Personally I think that it would do a lot of people a lot of good to take a close look at the weird phenomena of alumni donations to good US universities. Universities? Yes! Universities!

Let me take Dartmouth College as a hardly unique example. Current tuition is about $25,000 per year. A 4 year degree is about $100K. All standard. Yhe funny thing is that they get more money each year from donations than they do from tuition! That averages out to what, an average of a couple thousand a year per alumn? In donations that people didn't have to pay?

You know, that is serious money. And they don't exactly get that by accident. They put a lot of energy into making alumni feel good about the alma mater, and they get serious money in return. The existence of free riders is OK because they get enough in total to cover them.

I am amazed that more people don't spend some energy examining that phenomena and asking whether people might be willing to do the same for other things...

A relevant quote from [link|http://use.perl.org/~chromatic/journal/|chromatic] is, I like the idea that I've earned the right to use the free software I've been using. I know what he means. I think a lot of people do. I don't think it is a feeling which has been used very effectively. (And even where it has been used, the people using it need to understand in their gut that it is OK to do so. The entire Perl 6 effort would be in better financial shape right now if the key beneficiaries didn't have so much obvious guilt over how generous individuals have been. Damnit, if you ask for money and people want to give it, you thank them and tell everyone that the voluntary donations are an amazing show of generosity that is wonderful to see.)

Cheers,
Ben
--Richard Feynman
New New distribution
Get rid of big media and big corp giants who control the media, create new media giants and a new distribution system.

The best distribution system we have now is the Internet and file sharing programs, newsgroups (shudder), IRC chat channels, and pirate web sites. MP3 could be the new medium if they find a way to control who gets the MP3 and lock it so that a copy cannot be used unless a license is bought, etc.

But already the big media companies are combating the file sharing mess by uploading files that contain 3 to 15 minutes of silence under the artists names and album/song names so that the pirates get what they deserve. Problem them this would be negative publicity if they can trace the file back to the big media company.

Software too will need a new distribution system, much like the music and media industry. [link|http://www.freshmeat.net|Freshmeat.net] anyone? :)

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
Expand Edited by orion June 29, 2002, 08:23:08 PM EDT
     Did MS find a loophole in the GPL? - (tjsinclair) - (22)
         I believe so - (ben_tilly) - (21)
             So ... - (altmann) - (20)
                 No... - (ben_tilly) - (19)
                     I still say this isn't a GPL issue - (drewk) - (18)
                         Sorry. - (imric) - (17)
                             Or it might (finally) be the financial model for OSS - (drewk) - (8)
                                 Yeah. - (imric) - (4)
                                     I agree, but it's NOT about the GPL - (drewk) - (3)
                                         Cutting individual developers away from writing OSS - (imric) - (2)
                                             I'm not disagreeing with you (much) - (drewk) - (1)
                                                 Posted my take on the Twiki - (drewk)
                                 That scenario would seriously screw Red Hat over - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                     What would this new company look like? - (drewk) - (1)
                                         Not quite... - (ben_tilly)
                             Makes me ask a question.... - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                 By dangling - (imric) - (6)
                                     But that only works until... - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                         Possibly! Windows Update, anyone? -NT - (imric) - (4)
                                             Critical article on this to read... - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                 Now, is this really so bad? - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                                     Yes it is so bad - (ben_tilly)
                                                     New distribution - (orion)

That's not actually how law works.
90 ms