IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'm confused
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/austin-texas-defund-police-billboard-i-35/

The Texas Municipal Police Association (TMPA) has put up two billboards along Interstate 35 entering Austin after the city council voted last month to cut the Austin police budget. One of them reads: "Warning! Austin defunded police. Enter at your own risk!"

However ...

https://abc13.com/austin-police-pd-budget-texas-brutality/6369028/
The proposal to cut police funding by about one-third of its total $434 million budget calls for immediately cutting around $21.5 million from the department. This would include reallocating these funds to areas like violence prevention, food access, and abortion access programs.

Another $80 million in cuts would come from a yearlong process that will redistribute money used for civilian functions like forensics sciences, support services and victims' services to other departments. About $50 million would come from reallocating dollars to a "Reimagine Safety Fund" that would divert money toward "alternative forms of public safety and community support through the yearlong reimagining process."

So many people - who supported police reform, of course - criticized the slogan "Defund the police" because (they said) it suggested completely abolishing police services, and (they said) it would be too hard to explain to people that it really meant diverting a significant portion of police budgets to less confrontational social services.

But now that a city has voted to divert a third (not all) of a department's budget to support social services, and to move auxiliary services like forensics out of the control of the police department, suddenly everyone understands that as "defunding the police".

It almost seems like all of that complaining about the slogan was concern trolling in an effort to undermine a useful rallying cry.
--

Drew
New LRPD: That's not fair! I'm just a transparent rhetorical device!
     I'm confused - (drook) - (1)
         LRPD: That's not fair! I'm just a transparent rhetorical device! -NT - (InThane)

That's some other guy with too much face above his eyes.
80 ms