IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Something does not compute
I don't deal with Vermont's unemployment eligibility determinations but AFAIK, the system here is not that onerous. Wages from all jobs are included. Something is missing from the article to make sense of why they used this example in the way they did.
New You possess the Chops--care to pulse the Writer on exactly that allegation? join War-on-Disinfo! ;^>
New I think it is that no job was at least 40 hours.
Annie Frodeman often worked 40 hours a week or more — full time by most lights. She just worked them at two jobs.
She was working two part-time jobs.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New That sounds unlikely
Wages of all sources are combined to determine eligibility. Hours and number of employers do not directly play into it. {If only full-time workers qualified, half the state would be eligible for ANFC the second they lose a job. VT is a rural state and small farms are going the way of the dodo. Chittenden county, with Burlington as the center, is the only area with a growing economic base. The other 13 counties are generally in precarious condition. If Canada ever opens the maple sugar spigot, we'll really be hurtin'.)

Reasons for disqualification: not having worked 4 consecutive quarters in an 18 month base period, not having at least one quarter above a minimum income amount, or having the income of the lowest quarter being less than 40% of the highest quarter.

The floor is tied to the minimum wage and is now $2386. (At $10.50/hour, that comes to ~17 hrs/week.)

Based on the information available, she likely fell short of the base period. But I think that limitation is similar nationwide as it is part of the pay-as-you-go system. (Other possibility is the 40% trap, but then it looks like one of the jobs is way overstated.)

Gory details. They are accurate. I didn't link to the VT DOL because that involves downloading a PDF.

(Sad thing is that, overall, I do agree with their premise that the gig crap is toxic and it further undermines whatever is left of any safety nets. It's just that they could have picked a better fitting example, even in VT.)
New Yep, no mention of 40 hours.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     some more financial knee on the necks of the poor. - (boxley) - (21)
         Attaching fines and fees because of *their* overpayment is so much wrong -NT - (drook)
         That sucks! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         THIS measures exactly: our nearness-next to Insurrection, I wot. - (Ashton) - (11)
             will be sending a redacted email to the governor comissioner of mdes and local news - (boxley) - (10)
                 :-) -NT - (Ashton) - (9)
                     sent to governor mdes and local news outlet - (boxley) - (8)
                         Fingers crossed + experience: - (Ashton)
                         Similar situation in VT. - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
                             Something does not compute - (scoenye) - (4)
                                 You possess the Chops--care to pulse the Writer on exactly that allegation? join War-on-Disinfo! ;^> -NT - (Ashton)
                                 I think it is that no job was at least 40 hours. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                     That sounds unlikely - (scoenye) - (1)
                                         Yep, no mention of 40 hours. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                             Yeah ..we are drowned in uncountable [N+] recursive GOTCHA!s ... with few brains in sight or sound. - (Ashton)
         That's fucked. -NT - (jake123)
         update, I never heard back from anyone - (boxley) - (5)
             I wonder how many just paid it -NT - (drook) - (2)
                 how many unemployed have 10.3k in their back pocket? - (boxley) - (1)
                     Exactly that -NT - (drook)
             This is a common solution mode. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Understandable, that. (One worries about those who lack the skill-set) to Engage successfully :-/ -NT - (Ashton)

Good thing it smells like Kung Pao Tofu instead of like Greg's ears.
93 ms