IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Boeing has issues with more than just atmospheric craft.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/07/independent-reviewers-offer-80-suggestions-to-make-starliner-safer/

Boeing did not run an integrated software test that encompassed the roughly 48-hour period from launch through docking to the station. Instead, Boeing broke the test into chunks. The first chunk ran from launch through the point at which Starliner separated from the second stage of the Atlas V booster.

As a result of this, on the December flight, the spacecraft captured the wrong "mission elapsed time" from its Atlas V launch vehicle. It was supposed to pick up this time during the terminal phase of the countdown, but it grabbed data 11 hours off of the correct time instead. This led to a delayed push to reach orbit and caused the vehicle's thrusters to expend too much fuel. Because of this, Starliner did not dock with the International Space Station.

A second error, caught and fixed just a few hours before the vehicle returned to Earth through the atmosphere, was due to a software mapping error that would have caused thrusters on Starliner's service module to fire in the wrong manner. Starliner was very nearly lost. The combination of these two errors prompted NASA to initiate what it termed a "High Visibility Close Call" investigation.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New I tested the beginning and the end, we're good
I worked with a guy who said that. Repeatedly.
--

Drew
New you always test in prod
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New worked at a few places that did just that
they didn't have a test database. Modifications made in Visual Studio and run through debugger on local PC had to connect to prod database because that was all you had.

I could never comprehend management thinking that allowed that setup.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New Software shouldn't be flying space/aircraft. Pilots should.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New SpaceX return and recycle wouldn't be a thing without software.
Like it or not software is here to stay. It's a lever, just need to make sure it's being pushed correctly.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New wait what
Somewhere north of 80% of all air accidents are pilot error.

Your viewpoint is emotionally-driven, not scientific.
New LRPD: It's Zeus. He's taking you away to the Acropolis.
Believe human/machine argumentation shall persist for another decade (if we get such..)
To my simple mindfluff: a schism appears when you consider the Boolean thing: Yes, software Can accommodate lots of what-went-wrong events
--all those 'you' managed to add-to-list just at Final Cut.

Brains gots Reason, that realm which exceeds any 'disaster-planning-made-Boolean' at its core. Problem with your stat (also human-caused, partially)
is that investigators' methodology ends often [in my readings--not encyclopedic] without reporting 'discussions' along the way as led to -->
"must be pilot error; all the machines seemed to be working OK" (whether or not, in the event: they could have been 'aware-of' such a clusterfuck-as-This-one
had not been planned-for in the s/ware.

Moi just amateur in your field of chops, but recall: some certified-Engineers managed to plan rafts of planes wherein the Over-riding-Mondo joystick
for both pilots:was placed out-of-MUTUAL-sight ... by each's thigh, but especially: the Co-chair's.
(Read that crash-report meticulously, maybe you did too?)

Carrion. I concede that Stats do show that: these self-flying /No! we won't let you Do That! aircraft.. are not dropping from the skies with any regularity, last I heard.
So I could be Rong in my assessment; nevertheless: an absence of in-sight TANDEM controls in a cockpit means: I won't fly within your Euro-fabs' creations.
Just ONE event of the now more-than-one cases of a bonkers Copilot means: I side with the already-Dead.
     Boeing has issues with more than just atmospheric craft. - (malraux) - (7)
         I tested the beginning and the end, we're good - (drook) - (2)
             you always test in prod -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 worked at a few places that did just that - (lincoln)
         Software shouldn't be flying space/aircraft. Pilots should. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
             SpaceX return and recycle wouldn't be a thing without software. - (malraux)
             wait what - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 LRPD: It's Zeus. He's taking you away to the Acropolis. - (Ashton)

Boogle!
49 ms