IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I built one in part from scratch.
Well at least the control panel and CPU board. That included laying out and etching the circuit cards and soldering on chip sockets. The CPU board had Z-80 processor and the EPROM with a "borrowed" 4 KB BASIC interpreter and what is in effect a BIOS. As I recall, besides the S-100 board which has nothing but connectors, I bought an 8 KB memory card and a display card which attached to a TV.

The control board had umpteen switches for setting up addresses and loading data into memory. It was possible to step through one CPU instruction at a time. Also, I had circuitry to write and read data to an audio tape recorder.

Biggest problem was it was extremely noisy RF wise. You could not watch a TV anywhere in the house.

I bought a TR-80 and retired the S-100. But, I even modified the TRS-80 so it could display lower case characters.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New You win
Hell, you beat Mel
     So I've been clearing out the old junk ... - (drook) - (20)
         Felted heatsinks . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Prompts a similar heads-up (if ya gots an iMac.. maybe other all-in-ones?) - (Ashton)
         HP dv7 laptop - (scoenye)
         All old geeks turn into museum curators for obsolete tech. - (malraux) - (14)
             There's a TRS-80 in the box, with manuals in one of our closets. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                 This is just the den. - (malraux) - (6)
                     I have a '4A in a box upstairs. - (static) - (5)
                         My grad school prof had an S-100 bus computer... - (Another Scott) - (4)
                             Yes, I still have my S100 machine . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                             So did I - (crazy)
                             I built one in part from scratch. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                 You win - (crazy)
             I'm much better than I was - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 I just trashed a G5 cheesegrater - (drook)
             Ooh, can you do me a favor? - (drook) - (3)
                 I'll see if I can get it running over the weekend. - (malraux) - (2)
                     Thanks, and sorry for the rat hole I know I'm sending you down - (drook) - (1)
                         That's the main reason I keep some of these machines. - (malraux)
         still have my Gateway P5-75 Family PC - (lincoln) - (1)
             Re: still have my Gateway P5-75 Family PC - (pwhysall)