IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Turns out there was an easy solution
I found a 2G thumb drive and put the lubuntu ISO on it. The installation asked if I wanted to overwrite the existing installation or install alongside. Chose "B", repartitioned to give the new install maximum space, and started.

It's just about done. I should still have /home and be able to see what's on the old version. Winning!

[edit] And I'm now posting from the reanimated box. Time to see if I can still access the old book files.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook June 8, 2020, 05:37:15 PM EDT
New Neato.
Today I fired up an old Lenovo T61 laptop that I'd installed Linux Mint 13 on (mumble) years ago. I was surprised that I was able to get it going because my last notes were that something was broken with the video drivers, but it is working fine. No obvious issues (except it's running hot).

19.1 is next...

Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New On running hot
That is more than likely due to a clogged exhaust. If nothing else, the CPU will be throttled back to keep the temperature under control.
     How to update really old Ubuntu install? - (drook) - (39)
         what happens when you use wget to get that file? -NT - (boxley)
         Don't go straight from $ancient_version to $modern_version, if possible - (pwhysall) - (14)
             Working, please wait... - (pwhysall) - (13)
                 You must be bored, but ok and thanks - (drook) - (1)
                     Well, that's Linux for you :D - (pwhysall)
                 I noticed - (drook)
                 So, it works. - (pwhysall) - (9)
                     About to punt - (drook) - (8)
                         What's in the logs? -NT - (pwhysall) - (7)
                             Wood. HAAAAAHAHAHA!!!! - (drook)
                             Nothing useful - (drook) - (5)
                                 OS/2!! - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     OS/2 is Old! - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 Progress! I think ... maybe - (drook) - (2)
                                     I have had some success with Aptitude for apparently-borked apt issues -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         2nd this - (scoenye)
         What's the toolchain you're trying to resurrect, btw? -NT - (pwhysall) - (19)
             LaTex / Lyx plus several plugins for formatting -NT - (drook) - (18)
                 Can't just lift config and make files? - (pwhysall) - (17)
                     I set it up (apparently) 10 years ago - (drook) - (16)
                         Let a lazy bastard help - (pwhysall) - (15)
                             Lyx / LaTeX doesn't fail so usefully - (drook) - (14)
                                 I had an old PC act up recently... - (Another Scott) - (13)
                                     PS/2 keyboard works, but ... - (drook) - (12)
                                         Also... - (pwhysall) - (11)
                                             Maybe once I drop the coin on a new box - (drook)
                                             This^^^^ - (crazy) - (9)
                                                 Ok, so how? - (drook) - (8)
                                                     It's been years for me since I've done this stuff - (crazy)
                                                     If possible choose default instance environment. - (crazy)
                                                     Re: Ok, so how? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                         Nice. Thanks for the pointer. - (Another Scott)
                                                     2) depends on your current active kernel - (scoenye) - (2)
                                                         May not matter, I believe I've bricked it - (drook)
                                                         10.04 works like a dream in VirtualBox - (pwhysall)
                                                     Just came across this - (crazy)
         Turns out there was an easy solution - (drook) - (2)
             Neato. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 On running hot - (scoenye)

Ohh... they're still working.
91 ms