IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New All right, I thought someone would let you know.
It's basically the idea of atoms. It leads to understanding of all kinds of physical things.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Tattle-tale!
(Was hoping that someone might Go --> there by some deduction.. before finding the spot).

Like, that: 'atoms' can be far-easier introduced than drilling-down to the Kwazy world of quantum /or higher, some idea of bio- or other- chemistry mysteries. You could then lateral-arabesque re 'solid' examples: a pound of feathers, then iron == density (because atoms produce different 'weights') given-gravity--another tough property to illustrate. Etc.

Helluva a How-To! re all explanations, a meta-Explanation!? Feynman's gift of explication--via his shelf of books for low-science folk: as is surely more widely appreciated than ..umm? Quantum Chromodynamics? or the utility of his Feynman Diagrams, to that much narrower audience.

(But we stiill have Geo Carlin videos ..explaining the multifarious derangements within those atom-assembled brainz of our devolving species)
perpetually in-search-of Shiny/Shiny objects.
New Well, I concluded that drook was not going to do the homework.
But, I did! :)

This is way off topic, but it's a bit like the post you had about the mistreatment of the early Chinese and other Asian immigrants. Over some time I tried but could not find the NPR podcast. As an immigrant myself, I had interest in the topic.

Immigrants can definitely can have it rough.

Recently, once again, I got to look at the (WW-II troop carrying) ship's manifest that brought my parents, my siblings and me to the USA in 1950. It listed our destination as Madison, Wisconsin. We wound up in Hughesville, Maryland as sharecroppers on a tobacco farm. We had no choice about anything. We were DPs (displaced persons) and had a sponsor, the original who must have backed off, who would provide us with work and a place to live for some time (I'm guessing a year). My parents were given a salary of $15/week. That's not an hour or a day, but a week! But it was 1950 and you could get a 6 1/2 oz [add on edit] bottle of Coke for 4 cents provided you left the empty bottle in the store. We stayed there 2 growing seasons before moving on to NYC.

Tonight I am recording the PBS 3 part documentary on Asian Americans which I expect to cover some of what you mentioned.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
Expand Edited by a6l6e6x May 14, 2020, 11:00:35 PM EDT
New All I could find were references to the podcast
I figured someone would know without looking it up.
--

Drew
New Thanks for the props..
Odd that a search--maybe for 'Chinese railroad workers in US', The NO-Chinese-admitted piece--xenophobia so MANY have died-from--since the Beginning of this bastion-of-"Liberty via Liars-in-charge".
Likely you're aware of the several, periodic PBS programs (as seem part of a long-running meme: just HOW dastardly HAVE the vox populi treated? EVERY new-group (Not: WASP/blue-eyed-or-aging White supremacists); our Basest-bases from the Get-go here; as popular as Grand Theft Auto ..the daily version of Your Sig (which I have lifted n-tiimes, 'sourced') and maybe a quip re Asimov for those deemd unfamiliar with him/or even the genre (!)

Which prompts: Ray Bradbury's thin little book, With Cat for Comforter [I don't collect the n+jillions of cat-books: I grok-to-Fullness that, these authors Like. Them.) But this little book was given by a fellow cat-lady, no Sci-Fi delver--that misnomer; it's simply-Literature, when it's Good. Duh. *Below, an Intro-ΒΆ relevant only to Cat-people.

We be inundated hourly, so oft with made-up Ticklers for what proves to be {somehow an Ad-for-Something) or just ..fact-flatulence. In no previous Times was there such a LOUSY Interesting!/B.S. ratio than--thanks to Techno-runamuck--Now, I wot.

(I write-stuff mainly (not an original realization) to find out what I think-I-Think.) Well aware that my cup-of-Zyklon-B may interest 0, mayhap too-often. (I cheat: because of Scott's virtuosic Indexing+Search: IWE is a handy repository re other uses for my/your-all fulminations--elsewhere. Heh.)

* Intro excerpt [The illustrations by Louise Reinoehl Max are beyond 'precious']

"The genesis of this book was one morning just before dawn six months ago, when I lay slowly waking to the sound of three tea-kettles simmering. Or, to put it another way, to the hum of a beehive in summer.But then, finally, to three cats running their motors at half-throttle, The sound was so pleasantly reassuring that it almost lulled me back to sleep. Comforting was the word that entered my head. And then comforter--which propelld me out of bed full-tilt to get to my typewriter before the poem--for that was what it was--melted. Five minutes later, all these lines were done and I headed back to join my cats in their twenty-hour marathon of kip and snooze.
How many cats have there been in my life? Not enough. But a rough figure would be thirty-five or forty, one or two at a time, " March 9, 1997

(Then goes on re a summer in Paris)--thirteen kittens bursting-forth, etc.--with his young daughters. More good stuff in France, re 'Pacifism', a witty riposte etc. Title, of one painting-like pic:
And now and now
alive, alive, alive

{One should not awaken sleeping cats--abruptly. If necessary (?) only gently and slowly} I accept this advice, given that cat-dreams are as unknown to us as any Idea like, "Let Freedom Ring".
Would that I could, make poesy re ..that awakening one early-AM, to a weight on my face, finding #1-Cat-Ever, Squeak had contorted-self hilariously: in order to put his cheek on mine. Obviously Ray B. knows exactly what I Mean.

Expand Edited by Ashton May 14, 2020, 05:50:23 PM EDT
     "The Cataclysm Sentence" (an R. P. Feynman adventure in What? IF?.. as cannot fail to confound) - (Ashton) - (8)
         What was Feynman's answer? -NT - (drook) - (7)
             "No dessert -unless you eat your spinach.." I heard once.;^> -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                 no pudding if you dont beat your meat -NT - (boxley)
             All right, I thought someone would let you know. - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                 Tattle-tale! - (Ashton) - (3)
                     Well, I concluded that drook was not going to do the homework. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                         All I could find were references to the podcast - (drook)
                         Thanks for the props.. - (Ashton)

Right-eous-ness cha cha cha.
58 ms