IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Why bring up Hillary and Biden?
Dukakis, Gore, Kerry, Hillary, Biden. Let's hope the fifth time is the charm for "we're not going to give you anything to vote for, but the other guy is so much worse" as a winning strategy. Who knows? Maybe it takes a Trump to make any DNC sanctioned, Bankster approved candidate look better.

That's coming from someone who will vote for Biden in the fall. But I'd feel a lot better about our chances of kicking out Trump if it was Cuomo or Newsom at the top of the ticket. I've forever given hope that the US can really accomplish any true reform.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New cuomo? Maybe if he gave up the crappy Michael Corleone impression
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New At least Corleone believed in the value of public works
--

Drew
New (:-þ)
New Look, I’m glad you’ll vote for Biden
I hope you’ll persuade your wife to do so as well. But you know, even though Uncle Joe wasn’t my first or even fourth choice, he resonates with the Dusky-American constituency, which, although I know you’re on record here* saying, in effect, isn’t savvy enough to recognize its own interests, will be a vital part of the coalition that, it is devoutly to be hoped, can be induced to crawl over the acres of glass that the GOP is prepared to strew between them and the polling stations next fall.

I don’t think Biden is particularly in thrall to the banking industry anymore. Certainly he was as the Senator from MBNA, who knew of a certainty that he would not be re-elected in Delaware if he did not carry water for the credit card industry, and this will remain forever a blot on his escutcheon. Mind you, had he stood on his hind legs against Visa and MasterPlastic, he would be a footnote today. Welcome to democracy in the age of late-stage capitalism, y’know?

Biden’s a party guy: he went with the party when, traumatized in the nineties, it shrank toward the imagined center, and he’s going to go with the party as it tends left, recoiling from the consequences of those compromises. Don’t hold out for the man on the white horse. He’s not coming. Go with the guy on the nag who is at least trotting toward toward the destination you want, since the alternative is a rabid mustang that’s inclined to head in the direction of the cliff.

cordially,

*I’ve retained the receipts, so let’s not go there.
Expand Edited by rcareaga April 14, 2020, 09:08:08 PM EDT
New +1
New I think that gives Biden too much credit.
he went with the party when, traumatized in the nineties, it shrank toward the imagined center

Did he? Or did the party move toward him in its trauma? I'd say the latter, if "the imagined center" is understood to mean "the monied class."

If you take a look at his top donors, I think you might change your view that he is no longer "particularly in thrall to the banking [investment] industry."

Your rabid mustang analogy I agree with completely. Since I'm uncertain rabies leads to dementia and/or incredible stupidity, I might add an adjective or two to describe a man who would have the temerity to cut funding to the WHO in the midst of a global pandemic. By extension, two years hence when hopefully we have a vaccine with which to fight this killer, if the American People cannot learn the absolute inanity of having our health insurance tied to our employers from this experience then they are no better than he. How the phrase "We need a National Health System" is not running across the lips of every American is beyond me. And as far as Joe "moving left with the party" goes, I'm not exactly inspired by the conjecture that he's willing to move the Medicare eligibility age down to 60. That's not a trot in the right direction, that's merely turning the head in the right direction with no further movement.
bcnu,
Mikem

New We’re already seeing
…dead-enders trashing the Sage of Burlington himself for “selling out,” and this demographic will of course sit out the election or vote for Jill-fucking-Stein. Indeed, I’ve seen (cannot summon it back just now) a BernieBro feed in which he says that a 7-2 SCOTUS wouldn’t be that bad, presumably because it would heighten the contradictions (he makes the case that the disaffected should vote for Trump). Not that bad? Hold my Zyklon-B.

Just so we’re clear, there has never been a US president in our lifetimes, or in our grandparents’ lifetimes, or in their parents’ lifetimes (rinse and repeat) who had accumulated no chits payable to the moneybag sector. Get over it, everyone. “Communism with a human face” was probably never a realistic proposition, given that era’s geopolitical climate, but where it occurred, it briefly made people’s lives better. “Late-stage capitalism with a human face” is also likely doomed to fail, but if it can ameliorate the misery even somewhat, even briefly, and if Biden is the admittedly highly imperfect instrument at hand, well, we need to grasp and wield it to that near-term end.

cordially,
New Never been such a President?
We had to struggle with the old enemies of peace--business and financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionalism, war profiteering.

They had begun to consider the Government of the United States as a mere appendage to their own affairs. We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.

Never before in all our history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hate for me--and I welcome their hatred.

http://docs.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/od2ndst.html

Edit: In case it wasn't obvious, it was a US President who spoke those words.
bcnu,
Mikem

Expand Edited by mmoffitt April 15, 2020, 04:54:13 PM EDT
New {{sigh}}
Read any random 'Fireside Chat'; force-self to bear hearing an entire psychotic-episode of similar duration.
Then.
You Decide--which one is sane, intelligent, compassionate and Effective.
... and which should be in an asylum (had not Ronnie--Greed is Good--demolished most all).

Imagine.. a Country which produced an FDR ... now produces infra-human Beasts-of-Prey via
warmed-over How-to's from Mein Kampff. (dunno if Il Duce ever wrote a manifesto),
but the main-library of Fascism (a wag recently pointed out): has just the one book.

US of Amnesia .. will always stick, here.
I favor the early Samurai koan, "I cannot live with this shame" (State is spared the cost of litigation).
New Someone writing for "Agents of Shield" agrees with you
You: Go with the guy on the nag who is at least trotting toward toward the destination you want, since the alternative is a rabid mustang that’s inclined to head in the direction of the cliff.

Jemma: The steps you take don't need to be big; they just need to take you in the right direction.
--

Drew
     FTFNYT - He knew. - (Another Scott) - (14)
         If that is not an 'Inflection Point'.. - (Ashton)
         That story won't move the needle even a fraction of a degree - (drook) - (1)
             Nationwide: yes.. but.. - (Ashton)
         Why bring up Hillary and Biden? - (mmoffitt) - (10)
             cuomo? Maybe if he gave up the crappy Michael Corleone impression -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                 At least Corleone believed in the value of public works -NT - (drook) - (1)
                     (:-þ) -NT - (Ashton)
             Look, I’m glad you’ll vote for Biden - (rcareaga) - (6)
                 +1 -NT - (Another Scott)
                 I think that gives Biden too much credit. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                     We’re already seeing - (rcareaga) - (2)
                         Never been such a President? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                             {{sigh}} - (Ashton)
                 Someone writing for "Agents of Shield" agrees with you - (drook)

Closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.
66 ms