IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New New to me.
I'm not aware of nursing homes having "vent wings". Ventilators usually/always require ICUs because of the risk of infection, etc. Nursing homes (at least the ones I've seen) aren't equipped for that.

Are there such things? Or are you worried/predicting that such things might be needed?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New They exist all over the place
M has 30+ years experience working in such places. That's why the subject came up.
New Thanks.
(I replied earlier, but I guess it didn't take.)

I wasn't aware of such things. :-(

Balloon-Juice:

StringOnAStick

APRIL 6, 2020 AT 5:12 PM

A friend’s god daughter is a respiratory therapist. According to her, what they are seeing is if patients remain on a ventilator for longer than 10 days, they come off it at 20 days because that’s about when they die.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New crazy is correct, many wings in large nursing homes are vented
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New (Unnecessary) confirmation of just how long this has plagued the dis-US..
A Nurse--a couple of my acquaintance--50 Years Ago (not hyperbole) described similar 'wings'--of basically, vegetables-kept-"alive" for usual religio sacred-logic OR {worse} ... some financial advantage to the living--how-fucking-American is That?--in this particular broccoili or parsnip: being not-yet Officially-dead.

It's hardly 'New' the cupidity of our virulent-strain of daft 'Mores' and hypocritical Folkways--disguising our Real National Bird--the Vulture. (We compound the matter-of-Fact by)
Not-telling our spawn: The. Truth. behind those lying school text-books and B.S.-anthems about our perpetual-Wonderfulness.
New So in 2012 it was 300k expected to 600k in 2020
Like I said, my estimate was very low.

So, want to save a million plus people? Empty the vent farms of anyone nonresponsive for over a year.
New But check for locked in syndrome
There have been enormous advances in the ability to communicate with people in this state.

If you think you're killing someone then go through a couple of days of these tests. You'll find many of them will say turn the goddamn thing off.
New I would agree with you on that
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New No argument.
I had to talk my late mother into turning my dad's vent off. This was made extremely more difficult after a woman whose husband had been transferred from a nursing home who'd been on a vent for a protracted amount of time encouraged her not to d/c his ventilator. It was one of the more difficult things I've had to do. Dad was 77 and up until an acute cardiac event, had been relatively healthy. But, in less intense times, all of us agreed that if we were unresponsive for 48 hours, the machines should be turned off. My mom finally relented, but it was an acutely stressful time, made vastly worse by a church lady.

I continue to marvel at the fact that these Christian tribes with their claimed belief in a promised immortality post death are the very people who are most afraid of that death and will do anything, sane or otherwise, to keep their alleged loved ones in a vegetative state indefinitely. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at the cruelty these Luddites are capable of inflicting, their blatant hypocrisy or the fact that all of that is lost upon them. However, I confess, I still find it startling.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Hypocrisy is the key word.
It's not what they say that counts, it's what they do.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New (and what they dare-not do, though it rhymes-better)
     Vegetables farms - (crazy) - (32)
         who is paying for the vegetables, pretty sure its not the gummint -NT - (boxley) - (2)
             You'd be wrong - (crazy) - (1)
                 you must be undermedicating :-) - (boxley)
         also wonder if the bazzillion cpap machines out there could be put to better use -NT - (boxley) - (2)
             Yeah like I wonder if Glenn Beck raped and killed a girl - (crazy) - (1)
                 and here is why you cant use cpap in a hospital setting, didnt look it up before - (boxley)
         Re: Vegetables farms - (lincoln) - (8)
             Not my point - (crazy) - (7)
                 money = it aint yers to take if you didnt pay for it -NT - (boxley) - (6)
                     Yeah.. that's perzackly the, 'Everything is a Transaction'---juvenile mindset of The Menace - (Ashton) - (1)
                         nope, I believe the people own property, not the government -NT - (boxley)
                     Defense Production Act - fine, I accept your argument - (crazy) - (3)
                         thats fine, eminent domain is acceptable - (boxley) - (2)
                             Dunno - (crazy) - (1)
                                 Brief mantra helps.. - (Ashton)
         Is this an issue? - (Another Scott) - (16)
             Yes - (crazy) - (15)
                 And if one of the saved is a Wall St broker, or a Zuckerberg, can you really say it's worth it? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     Will not engage in stupid argument - (crazy) - (1)
                         Too late. You already made one. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                 New to me. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                     They exist all over the place - (crazy) - (1)
                         Thanks. - (Another Scott)
                     crazy is correct, many wings in large nursing homes are vented -NT - (boxley)
                     Here's a couple old articles. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                         (Unnecessary) confirmation of just how long this has plagued the dis-US.. - (Ashton)
                         So in 2012 it was 300k expected to 600k in 2020 - (crazy) - (5)
                             But check for locked in syndrome - (crazy) - (4)
                                 I would agree with you on that -NT - (boxley)
                                 No argument. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                     Hypocrisy is the key word. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                         (and what they dare-not do, though it rhymes-better) -NT - (Ashton)

Ultima ratio regum.
135 ms