IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Be careful using Zoom.
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/04/war-dialing-tool-exposes-zooms-password-problems/

As the Coronavirus pandemic continues to force people to work from home, countless companies are now holding daily meetings using videoconferencing services from Zoom. But without the protection of a password, there’s a decent chance your next Zoom meeting could be “Zoom bombed” — attended or disrupted by someone who doesn’t belong. And according to data gathered by a new automated Zoom meeting discovery tool dubbed “zWarDial,” a crazy number of meetings at major corporations are not being protected by a password.

There are also reports out there about Zoom's privacy policies being outstandingly bad. (sigh)

Cheers,
Scott.
New A reply by the CEO
"First, some background: our platform was built primarily for enterprise customers – large institutions with full IT support. ....

However, we did not design the product with the foresight that, in a matter of weeks, every person in the world would suddenly be working, studying, and socializing from home. We now have a much broader set of users who are utilizing our product in a myriad of unexpected ways, presenting us with challenges we did not anticipate when the platform was conceived. "

https://blog.zoom.us/wordpress/2020/04/01/a-message-to-our-users/
New IOW: We didn't think anyone would notice that
--

Drew
New Pretty much...
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New And a few other things
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/01/zoom_spotlight/

the company has been forced to admit that although it explicitly gives users the option to hold an “end-to-end encrypted” conversation and touts end-to-end encryption as a key feature of its service, in fact it offers no such thing.
because
Zoom granted itself the right to mine your personal data and conference calls to target you with ads, and seemed to have a "creepily chummy" relationship with tracking-based advertisers.
Personal information gathered by the company included, but was not limited to, names, addresses and any other identifying data, job titles and employers, Facebook profiles, and device specifications. It also included "the content contained in cloud recordings, and instant messages, files, whiteboards ... shared while using the service."
and
Zoom's iOS app sent analytics data to Facebook even if you didn't use Facebook to sign into Zoom
Oh, can't let Windows users feel left out:
you can snaffle people's Windows local login usernames and hashed passwords via Zoom by getting them to click on a URL in a chat message that connects to a malicious SMB file server.

Lawsuits are flying and do appear to have some effect. The iOS/Facebook diversion was stopped and they now pinky promise not to sell the harvested information.

Still best to keep way more than 6' separation...
New But they have background replace!
--

Drew
New Big deal. :-)
Apps have appeared that can do that and appear as another "camera" for any other video conferencing app. Some of my colleagues have been using it with BlueJeans.

Wade
New I'm finding it a struggle to convince people about this.
I seem to have two or three friends who think it's the cats pyjamas.

But I totally do not trust it on my work Mac.

Wade.
     Be careful using Zoom. - (Another Scott) - (7)
         A reply by the CEO - (dmcarls) - (5)
             IOW: We didn't think anyone would notice that -NT - (drook) - (4)
                 Pretty much... -NT - (hnick)
                 And a few other things - (scoenye) - (2)
                     But they have background replace! -NT - (drook) - (1)
                         Big deal. :-) - (static)
         I'm finding it a struggle to convince people about this. - (static)

Pilkunnussija.
169 ms