A completely-Non ..slap-on-back kinda sales-guy--in HS started out buying micros and upgrading, reselling. onesy-twosy etc. But his ascent--sans any Serious *gotcha!s
enroute is ... well, LIsten.

How I Built This [== npr/currently a podcast button.. later on.. may have to track down--same spot].
Michael Dell -- Founder of Dell Computers

Before it became fashionable to start a tech company in your dorm room, Michael Dell did exactly that. In 1983, he began selling upgrade kits for PC's out of his dorm at UT Austin. A few months later he dropped out of school to focus full time on the PC business. At age of 27, he became the youngest CEO to head a Fortune 500 company. Today, Dell has sold roughly 700 million computers.

[Optional techno pron]
* Well, later-on: assisting a friend who was doing serious video creations.. I was treated to the horror of--getting much?/any! useful info/help from Dellâ„¢. Finally they sent n- parts, incl. mobo. Thence I got self edjumicated; after all the parts swapping ... it Dawned that: that little battery for the CMOS might have been low-enough to scramble boot-up (if not POST-itself)? Removed same IIRC it wasn't that far off the nom 3.0V. So I shorted the connection to ground any volatile memory (all power off natch) et Viola! both mobos OK--an easy swap since the sucker was cluttering the whole floor like a hasty autopsy. Point: not my ineptness, as: via carefully outlined system info I sent: this should have been mentioned on very first contact with these Techs. Even 'then'. I wot.

As getting back a refund--for-under-Warranty failure--proved futile, the extra motherboard, other bits remained here. L. thence bought the Apple shiny-lucite Box and I found it obvious how to plop her HDs into the very spot intended for SYA of Apple (or Doze) xfers. The "$3000 Top-of line box--too lazy to go see Model--is now a space-holder under Cats' garage comfy, heated spot to hide. IIRC 2 GB was max--Expensive--RAM then so, it might run again ... but Why? I figure that We won the inneleckshul game. They lost my/our + a few others' future biz. Oh well.

(I had, later found the 2-GB upgrade set for a paltry $18, pretty sure something would be rong), but wtf: indeed one of the four cards failed a good mem-checker du jour. But it makes a fine sturdy platform: kinda like--Manhattan Project days when a weighty hemisphere of pure-AU ... was oft used as a door-stop. (Not apochryphal, BTW).