IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Best story of the season

When both of the Carolina Hurricanes' goaltenders left Saturday's game versus the Toronto Maple Leafs with injuries, 42-year-old Dave Ayres came in as the emergency backup goaltender -- and stopped 8 of 10 shots to get credit for the 6-3 win.

Ayres allowed goals on the first two shots he faced before stopping the final eight in succession.

"Obviously, that second period was a little shaky, but I told the boys in the dressing room, 'Once we come out for the third, I'll be settled down and ready to win this one,'" Ayres told the CBC Sports broadcast.

Ayres, a Zamboni driver and arena maintenance worker for the Maple Leafs' AHL affiliate, the Toronto Marlies, has been the regular practice goaltender for the Marlies and has appeared at Maple Leafs practices and skills sessions this season. As the emergency goalie, he was available to either team, if needed.

"It was awesome. I had the time of my life out there," Ayres told the Sportsnet broadcast after the game.

After he was named the No. 1 star, the crowd in Toronto gave him a loud ovation.

"I've been on this ice many times without fans," Ayres said. "Put fans in the mix and it's a whole different game, obviously.

"But, hey, once in a lifetime. I'll take it."

Per NHL rules, Ayres was paid $500 for the game and was allowed to keep his game-worn jersey. He was greeted warmly by his teammates-for-a-night upon entering the locker room after the game.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28761372/zamboni-driver-42-stars-emergency-goalie-hurricanes

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New That's just ..Sweet, innit?
     Best story of the season - (lincoln) - (1)
         That's just ..Sweet, innit? -NT - (Ashton)

This is all frightfully unimportant, but since when has that been a reason not to post?
45 ms