IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New pp ~200 -- ~250/300, IIRC.
I found it -- the whole book, not the "Ameristan" bit, which I also rated as the best part -- far more annoying than Seveneves, which I thought on the whole quite OK (though maybe a bit rushed towards the end).

Two reflections on Fall's "Ameristan":

1) "To facebook" as a transitive verb: "The whole region had been facebooked back to the Bronze Age". Nice.

2) Those "Leviticans"... The way he describes the theology of this particular branch of Meity -- haven't they basically just reverted to Judaism?
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New yabbut they are allowed to eat shrimp
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Seveneves
He did his physics homework. A spacecraft took its own sweet time, consistent with angular momentum, to make its round. Credit for that.

His obvious nasty “Hillary Clinton” president didn’t go over well here, even before the last election. Stephenson’s facile libertarianism has always irritated me.

The second part exhausted the credit the XXI century sequence accumulated, and was utterly implausible genetically and in every other particular.

I hated the book.

cordially,
New Oh, she was supposed to be Hillary? I never got that. Are you sure?
Or are you over-sensitively reading any "bitch" character as the author's take on Clinton?
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Re: Oh, she was supposed to be Hillary? I never got that. Are you sure?
Not certain, but this was also the impression taken by others. I’m not aware of ever having taken any other character in fiction as a stand-in for HRC apart from the candidate’s wife in the 1996 novel Primary Colors, where the correspondence was all-but explicit.

cordially,
     Let’s boogaloo! - (rcareaga) - (22)
         I hope that's a minority of a minority. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             ..How an 'accretion disk' forms.. ... - (Ashton)
         Well, there's This (if they're planning to join forces with the DJT cult.. - (Ashton)
         You understand now why, several years ago, I decided to acquire several firearms? - (mmoffitt) - (11)
             Git the Hell outtathere. - (CRConrad) - (10)
                 There's "No Place to Hide" ..to steal a rather old book-title. - (Ashton)
                 “Ameristan” - (rcareaga) - (8)
                     Tail wags dog, again? - (Ashton)
                     pp ~200 -- ~250/300, IIRC. - (CRConrad) - (4)
                         yabbut they are allowed to eat shrimp -NT - (boxley)
                         Seveneves - (rcareaga) - (2)
                             Oh, she was supposed to be Hillary? I never got that. Are you sure? - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 Re: Oh, she was supposed to be Hillary? I never got that. Are you sure? - (rcareaga)
                     idea is gaining traction - (boxley) - (1)
                         Is there a RWNJ outlet you don't read? -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Good use of language - (drook) - (6)
             More like muddling the language. - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                 I don't mean morally good, I mean effective - (drook) - (4)
                     Or going around saying, "President Donald Trump" right? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                         Or King Donald of Trumpia. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                             Parasite Trump? -NT - (scoenye) - (1)
                                 Galactic-psychiatrists pick: Drumpfomania ..as potentially terminal psychosis. -NT - (Ashton)

Well, the place was crowded. We were packed in like sardines. They were all there to listen to the Big Band sounds of Tommy Dorsal. What sole! Tommy was rocking the place with a very popular tuna: "Sal-mon Chanted Evening," and the stage was surrounded by screaming groupers; probably there to see the bass player.
92 ms