IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Let’s boogaloo!
It’s all harmless cosplay until these mouth-breathers, having been primed, are goaded into acting out:
An anti-government movement that advocates for a violent uprising targeting liberal political opponents and law enforcement has moved from the fringes of the internet into the mainstream in recent months and surged on social media, according to a group of researchers that tracks hate groups.

The movement, which says it wants a second Civil War organized around the term “boogaloo,” now includes groups on mainstream internet platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Reddit as well as fringe websites including 4chan, according to a report released Tuesday night by the Network Contagion Research Institute (NCRI), an independent nonprofit of scientists and engineers that tracks and reports on misinformation and hate speech across social media.
Watching Pat Buchanan toss red meat to the 1992 GOP convention, I thought I understood the Yugoslav civil war for the first time. Neither his audience (the cameras went to the receptive members of the crowd) nor I really wanted to share a national identity. And now we are headed, I am increasingly inclined to believe, toward something like Bosnia on a continental scale. This country is going to disappear in an eyeblink, historically speaking, the way the USSR went down, and there will be a weird justice to that symmetry.

cordially,
New I hope that's a minority of a minority.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New ..How an 'accretion disk' forms.. ...
Gravity (er, not Gravitas) decrees that, poco á poco: small bits of agitprop+its containers 'jes grow-like-Topsy. Hitler was a lone so-so 'painter'; met a few similarly-disturbed. Providence locked him up to write the SOLE 'Book' asociated with 'Fascism'. QED?

THEN: there was no Intarweb/e-mail/video 24/7 etc. But RADIO alone concretized the Masses just after ... you know the Story.

The Mofos described are merely the canary-in-the-mine-Mine!-MINE!!! ... shaft-ing of the human credulous-mass.
(Of course I Hope that my extrapolation is Rong, RONG, but I've been watching Stuff ..ever since finding out that My Gramma--That one--was a child-in-adult-clothing (while I was still a child too).

tl;dr: This Is Not a DRILL, I wot.

PS: Testy LRPD: The Pseudo Markov Chain O' Puerile Musings. (Guilty as charged)
Expand Edited by Ashton Feb. 20, 2020, 04:18:59 PM EST
New Well, there's This (if they're planning to join forces with the DJT cult..
Fresh Air today re:

Deutsche Bank and Donald Trump

Journalist David Enrich is Financial Editor for The New York Times. He has covered German Deutsche Bank for years, and has written about the relationship between Donald Trump and Deutsche Bank. The bank kept loaning him money even after he'd defaulted on tens of millions of dollars in loans. His new book is, “Dark Towers: Deutsche Bank, Donald Trump and an Epic Trail of Destruction.” Enrich chronicles how the 150 year old bank went from a respected institution, to a company engaged in money laundering, manipulating markets, violating international sanctions, defrauding regulators and more. Trump has sued to prevent the bank from releasing his financial records to two congressional committees that have subpoenaed them. The Supreme Court takes up the case next month, with a decision expected in June.

Pity that the USSC runs on buggy-whip-Time, but by June this book shall have been Fact-checked to a fare-thee-Well
(and who knoze fershure if/What USSC minions ever read): Recent Books™?--if one Screams to be: fucking-relevant to their deliberations.)

I so wish this insane soap-opera would Just Die Soon. So's we can get back to watching the fake-Climate-hoax replayed.
(Yeah that's a double-negative)

PS: Irascible (also tired-of-this-shit) LRPD sez:
This is where the night goes from "we had fun" to "mistakes were made," isn't it?
Expand Edited by Ashton Feb. 19, 2020, 11:26:16 PM EST
New You understand now why, several years ago, I decided to acquire several firearms?
For the past 34 years I've heard similar rhetoric among my fellow Hoosiers. One manager-type told me a decade ago, "I'm training my son to be a warrior. The Balkanization of our country is underway and I want him to be ready." His son at the time was six years old. Such sentiment as you describe above has been very much mainstream here, in The Heartland™ for at least a decade.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Git the Hell outtathere.
Run for the at least marginally civilised strips of land along the coasts.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New There's "No Place to Hide" ..to steal a rather old book-title.
An 'algorithm to parse Chaos' is an oxymoronic phrase.
Simply: check out Germany 2-20-20 for a closer-to-Home venue (?) The dis-US is Lousy-with Gunz everywhere/everywhen.

[Nobody EVER-said ~ "Here's how you deal with an IMPENDING 'EXTINCTION EVENT'".]
Did anyone? ... (I missed it then).

We so enjoyed the better written dystopian novels ... not so much fun when You're-In ..the perhaps last 'novels' ever to be written, eh?

Meanwhile ..as the first Lily blooms outside--maybe a month+half sooner than for eons--I wonder why?--I find that sanity is restored when one simply does a-day-at-a-time ... 'cause 'Time' is just nature's Way of scamming you that everything isn't happening-at-once, whereas ..Ackshully ... well, you know. ;^>
Expand Edited by Ashton Feb. 20, 2020, 03:54:41 PM EST
Expand Edited by Ashton Feb. 20, 2020, 04:12:23 PM EST
New “Ameristan”
Neal Stephenson’s most recent novel, The Fall (overall a considerable disappointment, almost as irritating as his previous novel Seveneves), is set in a near-future USA that has not formally disintegrated, but in which those mainly coastal precincts we today style “blue,” along with sundry inland urban centers (Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc) are connected by the skein of Interstates running through the savage hinterlands in which guns, Jesus and meth prevail, and the social (dis)order has devolved into fortified compounds and warlordism that the national authority has apparently neither the inclination nor the power to oversee. The author calls this vast acreage “Ameristan,” and its depiction was the most persuasive part of an otherwise forgettable book.

[While I have your attention, BTW, let me recommend William Gibson’s most recent novels, The Peripheral and Agency, which riff on an interesting notion of time travel (2136 London, following an only vaguely described slow-motion apocalypse, has discovered a means of communicating with the, or rather a, past via telepresence), and which describe a near-future not unlike Stephenson’s. I think we should pay attention to these guys.]

cordially,
New Tail wags dog, again?
(Should handy personal-armament sales go ^up^ in Germany during this fate-filled and Fact-free year)

Surely a pfennig-for-thoughts everywhere shall be.. former Fsscists take note of the popularity/success of bump-stock massacrees in the Grand Ol' Party's adoption of their earlier allegiance: here, in the distraught-US's attempts ot Make Amerika Grate Again, that nostalgic trek-back ..via their very icon: MAGA.

Imitation Is the sincerest form of Flattery, eh?

Today.. the Fifty-'states'; Tomorrow: the remaining couple-dozen? after the Southrun-leaning 'states' secede over their right to have the New Friendly-nukes under States' Rights control--as in the good-ol Days.
(It's only Faire..)

Over, out ...and down for the count.
Expand Edited by Ashton Feb. 21, 2020, 02:24:10 AM EST
New pp ~200 -- ~250/300, IIRC.
I found it -- the whole book, not the "Ameristan" bit, which I also rated as the best part -- far more annoying than Seveneves, which I thought on the whole quite OK (though maybe a bit rushed towards the end).

Two reflections on Fall's "Ameristan":

1) "To facebook" as a transitive verb: "The whole region had been facebooked back to the Bronze Age". Nice.

2) Those "Leviticans"... The way he describes the theology of this particular branch of Meity -- haven't they basically just reverted to Judaism?
--

Christian R. Conrad

New yabbut they are allowed to eat shrimp
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Seveneves
He did his physics homework. A spacecraft took its own sweet time, consistent with angular momentum, to make its round. Credit for that.

His obvious nasty “Hillary Clinton” president didn’t go over well here, even before the last election. Stephenson’s facile libertarianism has always irritated me.

The second part exhausted the credit the XXI century sequence accumulated, and was utterly implausible genetically and in every other particular.

I hated the book.

cordially,
New Oh, she was supposed to be Hillary? I never got that. Are you sure?
Or are you over-sensitively reading any "bitch" character as the author's take on Clinton?
--

Christian R. Conrad

New Re: Oh, she was supposed to be Hillary? I never got that. Are you sure?
Not certain, but this was also the impression taken by others. I’m not aware of ever having taken any other character in fiction as a stand-in for HRC apart from the candidate’s wife in the 1996 novel Primary Colors, where the correspondence was all-but explicit.

cordially,
New idea is gaining traction
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/feb/19/secession-fever-spikes-conservatives-seek-escape-b/
West Virginia’s Howell argued that liberal state Democratic legislators in Virginia should seize the opportunity to unload their “deplorables.”

“If they get rid of the ones that are supposedly their problem, they could have a super-majority with what’s left in their legislature,” Mr. Howell said. “So they could pass the liberal utopia that they want.”
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Is there a RWNJ outlet you don't read?
bcnu,
Mikem

New Good use of language
Try to take seriously the "boogaloo" movement and they'll mock you for thinking it's real, same way they did with the OK sign or Pepe the frog. They take intentionally silly things with no baggage and infuse them with new meaning.
--

Drew
New More like muddling the language.
How many meanings can a word have before using it in communications becomes ineffective?

Language murder. I think Ashton has a lecture on that! :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New I don't mean morally good, I mean effective
The latest Wondermark actually has a great example.

I mean, the whole neighborhood could have contributed to scuffing  that puddle. The man's turbo-choadness is no secret.

They do offensive things that are so childish that no one would believe someone is doing, so you look crazy for calling them on it. "The OK sign? Seriously? That's been around forever, how can you think it's a symbol for white supremacy?"
--

Drew
New Or going around saying, "President Donald Trump" right?
bcnu,
Mikem

New Or King Donald of Trumpia.
And Lord Lindsey of the Carolinas.
Alex

-- Isaac Asimov
New Parasite Trump?
New Galactic-psychiatrists pick: Drumpfomania ..as potentially terminal psychosis.
     Let’s boogaloo! - (rcareaga) - (22)
         I hope that's a minority of a minority. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             ..How an 'accretion disk' forms.. ... - (Ashton)
         Well, there's This (if they're planning to join forces with the DJT cult.. - (Ashton)
         You understand now why, several years ago, I decided to acquire several firearms? - (mmoffitt) - (11)
             Git the Hell outtathere. - (CRConrad) - (10)
                 There's "No Place to Hide" ..to steal a rather old book-title. - (Ashton)
                 “Ameristan” - (rcareaga) - (8)
                     Tail wags dog, again? - (Ashton)
                     pp ~200 -- ~250/300, IIRC. - (CRConrad) - (4)
                         yabbut they are allowed to eat shrimp -NT - (boxley)
                         Seveneves - (rcareaga) - (2)
                             Oh, she was supposed to be Hillary? I never got that. Are you sure? - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 Re: Oh, she was supposed to be Hillary? I never got that. Are you sure? - (rcareaga)
                     idea is gaining traction - (boxley) - (1)
                         Is there a RWNJ outlet you don't read? -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Good use of language - (drook) - (6)
             More like muddling the language. - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                 I don't mean morally good, I mean effective - (drook) - (4)
                     Or going around saying, "President Donald Trump" right? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                         Or King Donald of Trumpia. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                             Parasite Trump? -NT - (scoenye) - (1)
                                 Galactic-psychiatrists pick: Drumpfomania ..as potentially terminal psychosis. -NT - (Ashton)

I say your young men'll be fritterin'!
182 ms