IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How did you find a 55-inch non-"smart" TV? Thought everything in that range had Roku built in.
--

Drew
New 1080 HD scepter 55inch low end price. $278 2 years ago. I dont want smart tv
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New I had a "smart" TV at last airbnb
WiFi router was 2 feet away. Horrible screendooring and stuttering. Plugged my Chromecast in, casted the same Netflix movie, and it was perfect. I do not like "smart" TV's.
New The non-smart are often more expensive, the others are subsidized
--

Drew
New Re: "the others are subsidized"
Because you are spied on and your viewing habit information is sold.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Yup.. automatic now; no need to 'write down' what you *hand-switched ..on the Channel knob.
* that Whas-is-name Corp who rated stuff--and paid you, wayback; when everything becomes Opt-out-impossible, it's 1984 fershure
New ^ This.
Someone (Cheddar? Vox?) did an article explaining this.

I don't want a "smart" TV either. Partly because it's one more device now in an upgrade cycle (there are stories of older such devices being abandoned by their maker, so now things like the Youtube app no longer works). Partly because I already have all my "smart" functionality in a DVR I pay a subscription for. I currently use a projector for the actual image.

Wade
New My next one will likely be a projector.
Easy solve for the smart TVs though: don't attach them to the network. Unless they've gotten truly smart and refuse to work unless they've been "updated" recently.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New At least it is less likely they have a camera on you
New If they don't already, it's coming
I just bought my daughter a cheap Windows laptop for school. It wouldn't complete setup without logging in to a Microsoft account. I created a throwaway, then after setup I had to go into settings and choose to log in as a local user to disconnect from the account.
--

Drew
New You can disconnect from the network before that point and it errors out but still installs
But that's Windows, not the hardware maker.
Regards,
-scott
New It prompted me for wifi before prompting for the account
There was an option "I don't have a network" that I could have used, but I didn't know what was coming. After entering the wifi credentials, there was no way to continue without the account. That workflow was very carefully built.
--

Drew
New Yup, for sure.
The only reason I knew about it when we were setting up the gaming PC is that I decided to Google about it before continuing on.
Regards,
-scott
New I almost did that
But this is an $80 notebook, literally disposable. Not worth even 10 minutes of research.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Feb. 5, 2020, 07:28:30 PM EST
     espn+ 4.99 a month 2 habs games per week well worth it - (boxley) - (26)
         Chromecast to the big screen? -NT - (drook) - (4)
             get jitter the larger you make the screen, hard to follow the puck -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                 Guess bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth -NT - (drook)
                 I'm not sure of the process - (crazy) - (1)
                     Android supports both - (drook)
         Get the "app" on a firestick. Works great. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (20)
             will try similar, thanks -NT - (boxley)
             had a spare roku, awesome pic on big screen, many thanks -NT - (boxley) - (18)
                 I hope your experience w/Roku is better than mine. - (mmoffitt) - (17)
                     Needs strong WiFi - (drook)
                     6ft from the wireless router, will know for sure on tonights habs game -NT - (boxley) - (15)
                         very satisfied with picture quality, thanks for the advice -NT - (boxley) - (14)
                             How did you find a 55-inch non-"smart" TV? Thought everything in that range had Roku built in. -NT - (drook) - (13)
                                 1080 HD scepter 55inch low end price. $278 2 years ago. I dont want smart tv -NT - (boxley) - (12)
                                     I had a "smart" TV at last airbnb - (crazy)
                                     The non-smart are often more expensive, the others are subsidized -NT - (drook) - (10)
                                         Re: "the others are subsidized" - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                             Yup.. automatic now; no need to 'write down' what you *hand-switched ..on the Channel knob. - (Ashton)
                                         ^ This. - (static) - (7)
                                             My next one will likely be a projector. - (malraux) - (6)
                                                 At least it is less likely they have a camera on you -NT - (crazy)
                                                 If they don't already, it's coming - (drook) - (4)
                                                     You can disconnect from the network before that point and it errors out but still installs - (malraux) - (3)
                                                         It prompted me for wifi before prompting for the account - (drook) - (2)
                                                             Yup, for sure. - (malraux) - (1)
                                                                 I almost did that - (drook)

Ah-ha! And "so's your old man!"
87 ms