IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Weelll.. there are ... comparisons..
Have a duo-thing from Sony: cigarette-pack-size FM-stereo *slide in (+ AUX input also too) with pretty amazing speakers in 'mainframe'--for the size and time. I bought it whsle (avocation then) in ~ mid to late '60s. I use it often (in small room where the Mac-mini resides) so it has n-000 hours with nary a glitch or other sign of limping.
* has battery, shirt-pocket handiness; with your $500 headphones.. fidelity not far from today's ludicrous-$$$ $5K+ stereo Mine's Bigger! show-systems. Quite before there were FETs and such.

Half-a-Century+ of discrete-transistor Goodness and NO deterioration (even speaker cones!==that which killed my Nonesuch drivers) in main System--nearly irreplaceable [still looking for a Way]
--as they were 'doped' to achieve their umm, awesome mid-range linearity, {{sob, Etc.}}

Carrion ... an Ed Long "Time-aligned System" ... shredded, is another form of that.
New Yes, there are aged transistors, but we're talking something mechanical at 7200 RPM.
The motor was not the part that failed. My guess it was a reading head.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New They did 7200 already in '02? I'd have guessed that was later.
New Installation manual for IBM Deskstar 60GXP is dated Feb 2001.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New They had been around for a little while
https://www.storagereview.com/articles/9806/980609ibmds14gxp.html?model=DTTA-371440
A review of the DeskStar 14GXP, dated June 1998.
the 14GXP boasts a 7200rpm spindle speed.

It looks to be the 1st model in the GXP line. The drive was actually announced in 1997 but did not reach OEMs until 1998.
New Thanks, guys! Tricks of memory...
Goes both ways: There's other stuff that you'd thought had been around since forever, and then you find out it was invented last Thursday.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Seagate had a 10K cheetah in 96
I had a pair of them set up not in any cases. I taped them down to cookie cooling trays to have some air space around them. Then I set up two fans to run over them. This was in the dining room of my house where I had my computers setup. They ran very hot.
New Naah, now you're just making shit up.
Heh, no, 'course I believe you. But dang, how you can get your timelines mixed up...

Huh, whaddayamean, "Not 'you', YOU"?!? Shadappayaface, that Alzheimers talk in the thread on Wade's dad is quite scary enough, thankyaverramach.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New In those days my storage budget was around 500k per year
And speed really counted, so I had racks and racks of disks striped out the wazoo.

I had an r&d budget which meant I got the latest toys,but if they weren't going to be deployed (they really ran too hot) then they got put away. And I had permission to take stuff home from my boss.
New Yabut, the Cheetah line was server grade SCSI. Deskstar is ATA consumer.
And now that the interface can-o-worms is open... ;-)
The earliest 7200rpm drive was Seagate's Barracuda 2LP. All 2.1 GB of it.
     IBM DeskStar - (a6l6e6x) - (10)
         Weelll.. there are ... comparisons.. - (Ashton) - (9)
             Yes, there are aged transistors, but we're talking something mechanical at 7200 RPM. - (a6l6e6x) - (8)
                 They did 7200 already in '02? I'd have guessed that was later. -NT - (CRConrad) - (7)
                     Installation manual for IBM Deskstar 60GXP is dated Feb 2001. - (a6l6e6x)
                     They had been around for a little while - (scoenye)
                     Thanks, guys! Tricks of memory... - (CRConrad) - (4)
                         Seagate had a 10K cheetah in 96 - (crazy) - (3)
                             Naah, now you're just making shit up. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 In those days my storage budget was around 500k per year - (crazy)
                             Yabut, the Cheetah line was server grade SCSI. Deskstar is ATA consumer. - (scoenye)

Why did my head just get farther away?
82 ms