IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Dedicated “Streaming” entertainment forum?
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Roku, Hulu, Criterion Channel, Apple TV? Might be a fertile field for discussion, gripes, solutions.

cordially,
New Wouldn't that belong in Art and Entertainment?
New Re: Wouldn't that belong in Art and Entertainment?
Perhaps so, but I was really thinking in terms of the technical impedimenta involved with set-top boxes, whereas A&E seems more content-focused.

cordially,
New Second the query ..it's a Transistor-jungle out there, while morphing daily (Is this thing ON?)
(Dunno about 'entertainment')--just wanna get a couple PBS stations sans any need for the Comcast-octopu$$, no desire for 500-stations with Nothing-I-wanna-see,
while maybe paying-for? some occasional HBO-grade spectacular, etc.

I. Mean. ..when PBS goes all paywall for Nova, Nature re-runs.. when commences the daily-Oxygen Tax?
New Hey there! mondo-Meeja-boffins..
Youse guys each have listicles of the latest er, means-for-untethering from cable /etc.
Rand asked politely for some TIPS. Moi seconded the query.

w.t.f. ya-Think We Are: chopped liver?

tl;dr: Stand and Deliver! saith the HIghwayman. Moi needs an (at least weekly-) infusion of Merrie Melodies % Looney Tunes in this
... waiting
... Period
before sentence-is-passed on the Futchah; there's W a a y too-much Biz-BS out there re the various claims for er, Roku, Cuckoo and
the Katzenjammer Kids ... to even begin to do comparos. [I cite: GIGO}.

er, Please?
New $18 for a mini roku, needs wireless to work, stupid to setup
$29 for a cheap wireless router need intarwebs to work.
pretty much pops up, looks for a network, asks for a passwd to the wireless router and
sproing,
tells you to go to a website to register it (used my laptop for keyboard convenience.)
then a menu of tiles like a windows phone shows up as an offering of different streams.

there is a search feature for free streams I like tubo for its selection of old westerns

it has commercials which is why it is free but I dont care. I like that I can pause a movie, take a break then restart
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Got one of the Roku sticks, mostly like it
Just put the tiles for the apps you use most at the top. Put the cursor on it and hit * to move it.
--

Drew
New only thing to be aware of is bandwidth and your internet plan
a hockey game in high def is 5.5 gb of data depending on usage example a pbs documentary will be less.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New I probably won't be a lot of help.
Given I don't live in the US and most streaming services are regional.

However in the spirit of satisfying curiosity, I have a Fetch TV box which is a commercial PVR my ISP provides as part of my account. Mostly it records FTA for me, but I can buy movies if I like. It also supports Netflix, Youtube and all he catch-up services from the local networks. I use the Youtube app a lot.

I used to do streaming video on my PS3 until it had a small hardware failure. I've had the PS3 a lot longer than the Fetch TV box. I'd been on the edge of signing up to Amazon Prime for some months as there's a PS3 app. However, with the PS3 being retired, I will probably have to use my gaming PC if I go that route as the Fetch TV doesn't have the Amazon app.

Wade.
     Dedicated “Streaming” entertainment forum? - (rcareaga) - (8)
         Wouldn't that belong in Art and Entertainment? -NT - (static) - (1)
             Re: Wouldn't that belong in Art and Entertainment? - (rcareaga)
         Second the query ..it's a Transistor-jungle out there, while morphing daily (Is this thing ON?) - (Ashton)
         Hey there! mondo-Meeja-boffins.. - (Ashton) - (4)
             $18 for a mini roku, needs wireless to work, stupid to setup - (boxley) - (1)
                 Got one of the Roku sticks, mostly like it - (drook)
             only thing to be aware of is bandwidth and your internet plan - (boxley)
             I probably won't be a lot of help. - (static)

That is not actually a charming anecdote!
91 ms