IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New a small victory over a stubborn problem
I like to think that after thirty-five years and change I’m reasonably proficient, albeit on the consumer level, in Macintosh troubleshooting, but I acknowledge certain tech blind spots: just as, for example, I’ve never mastered “quickmask” in Photoshop, I’m routinely baffled, cross-platform, by the impedimenta of email clients. The spousette has, in addition to her personal email accounts, two that are professional in nature, one gmail-based and another for use only in communicating with the courts, clients, or opposing counsel, and this one I set up with the Mac mail app on her ancient (2007?) iMac some years back. For some reason, I was never able to configure her 2015 MacBook Air to work with that account, which refused to recognize the username/password combination even after I transcribed exactly every setting from the old machine on multiple attempts. I devised a workaround by means of which she could use the web-based interface on her hosting service, but for various reasons, among them the inability to archive emails offline (the legal profession has a silly fixation on record-keeping), this was unsatisfactory. So this morning I attempted again to configure the account, and again came inexplicably a-cropper, even with a nice printout of step-by-step configuration instructions before me. In some exasperation, I wiped the useless account and created a new one with exactly the same inputs, every field, and…it worked. Well, it’s always gratifying to overcome these obstacles, but it’s still vexing that I don’t understand the nature of the hindrance to begin with. Not asking for suggestions here—merely venting.

cordially,
New Yeah...
I set up our home Wifi pasword decades ago. It was in ASCII, but somewhere along the line it ended up getting changed to the "equivalent" hexadecimal. It was thus a bazillion characters to enter, but it was fine.

Over the holidays, J's sister visited us for a few days and set up her new Samsung phone to use it as she has with previous phones and laptops over the years. Wifi password - type in a bazillion characters. No wifi connection. Look for typos. None. Try typing it in again... No connection.

In the past we never paid attention to whether the letters were upper case or not. Try the other case... Success!!

:-/

At least it only took a few minutes to fix! She had visions of something being wrong with the phone...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks for tip! Answers a weirdness por moi, too.
Periodically get an 'Apple' gratuitous message box, "Need PW for ashtonXXX": a remnant of Cloud-stuff. Type it in as in my Book: No Sale. Irrelevant as I no i-fone in use. But there's always Tomorrow.. (and those work from one's temporary cave bolt-hole too, I guess).

You mentioned the ascii f'ing NON-'conversion' glitch I hadn't heard about. GMTA! :-)
New No suggestions; reminder though.
Not long ago we exchanged opinions re the "cold-cock Reset" of the Machine's sole-important 'memory'--er Image ..as is: Everything, post-Boot. Whether by push-button or otherwise:
I've taken to that method as 'preventive' (of such as you describe, to-a-Tee). Should I see in prospect the chores of n+1 [Refs], links embedded thence source sent to dev null, etc. [Transliterations--oh the Horreur!] I nuke the Image FIRST/cooling off even (in iMac case--via having been bitten as described, here), IWE: pull AC, let the always-ON stuff in PS box *also* get re-loaded, y'see?

I no 'stats' thus far; maybe this is just a chimerical postulate--but am willing to sacrifice the drill to Cthulhu, then.
One addition: after above, recently--thus the ~15 min-by-guesstimate w a i t before AC mains turned ON--the sucker was notably faster, verified by Activity Mon. and a peek at iStat as is indisppensable to moi. Thus shall I keep this koolaid on tap as, logic implies: yess-maybe: there IS a flaky component in this particular iMac PS/not dead-yet but ... needs Love every so often ... all that MTBF stuff, at work? ..it's an '09 model; ~~many of yours.

(Should this PS be proven flaky-as-described ... more often?) I should have to replace the unit, a real disassembly-POS on even 'repairable' iMacs: trouble-shooting 'intermittents' has always been in the orisons-via-tea-leaves category; there is only *rarely a smoking-junction discovered ... absolutamente--within my quarter century experience at Lab. R&R saves Time, lots. qed

* In the case of a Master EE-sleuth: ego.. may drive such a one to FIND that exact junction! But we know how That 'works', when you stop the clock ... maybe for days? I lazy.

Luck!
New Aside
All email clients are crap. It's a rule of the universe.

What's that buzzing noise I hear? Is it the sound of the year of Linux on the Desktop? Ah, no. It's just a wild neckbeard, attracted to the thread by an opportunity to demonstrate his (always his) vast techno-dominance!

Look here, you neckbearded twit: that both includes and, indeed goes double for - no, triple - Mutt. And if you say "MUA" again, I will indeed flush your head down the lavatory one more time. Perhaps you can write a GNU Info pagenode about it.
New whatchu need a mua for anyways a real techie will download mail via cmd line from the mta
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Apropos: had, just (on schedule) rebooted OSX-mail ...
Activity Mon. was delighted [kiss on both cheeks..] overhead dropped to 'base'. That sucker seems to be perpetually re-organizing. Must be paranoid.

Er, q.e.d. for those of us keeping obscene calendar levels of -rarely-ever-peeped- detritus/guilty as charged.
New LRPD appears to support your dudgeon
After personal optimization sets in, you have a population with very few abilities and a great many needs.
..this thing is ON.
New Ah! Some of my elder statements still live!
New "Build a 10-mile high titanium wall around the whole shebang."
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Keep it Techno: "12V at mucho amps, etc." :-þ (Had Senators the savoir-faire of an LRPDee?), well..
     a small victory over a stubborn problem - (rcareaga) - (10)
         Yeah... - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Thanks for tip! Answers a weirdness por moi, too. - (Ashton)
         No suggestions; reminder though. - (Ashton)
         Aside - (pwhysall) - (6)
             whatchu need a mua for anyways a real techie will download mail via cmd line from the mta -NT - (boxley)
             Apropos: had, just (on schedule) rebooted OSX-mail ... - (Ashton)
             LRPD appears to support your dudgeon - (Ashton) - (3)
                 Ah! Some of my elder statements still live! -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                 "Build a 10-mile high titanium wall around the whole shebang." -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                     Keep it Techno: "12V at mucho amps, etc." :-þ (Had Senators the savoir-faire of an LRPDee?), well.. -NT - (Ashton)

Maybe this is what seafood will do in a thousand years.
210 ms