IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New New Mac Mini on the way from B&H
Hi everyone,

I've not been active here in a long, long time. I'm glad the lights are still on. I hope to get caught up over the holidays. ;-)

I just ordered a Mac Mini for J (to replace the mid-2012 MPB that she's using with a keyboard and external monitor as a desktop at home) from B&H. The i7 with 8 GB of RAM and a 1 TB SSD is on sale for $1499. Upgrading it with 32 GB of Crucial RAM is only $118 and they will install it for $40!!!11ONE. A vast discount from Apples $600 cost increase for 32 GB! :-/

Unfortunately, the SSD is soldered, so what you order is what you get. (Of course, external SSDs via Thunderbolt is an option.) I also got Office Home and Student for $75 only more. A new 27"4k LG monitor is also coming from Amazon ($450).

I've read that there are WiFi issues when USB is used with these 2018 MacMinis, apparently because of some RF interference somewhere, but I'm hoping that using Ethernet and maybe an external hub will mitigate that. We'll see.

I considered an iMac (that's what she uses at work), but the prices are ridiculous. The new MacPro is stupidly expensive, also too.

Cheers,
Scott.
New A friend sent me an early Mini..
some years back. It came with a disc of Slot-machine game. Cute little bugger; always loved miniaturization until Apple used that to kill all the room for repair or memory.
Periodically--to keep the PS caps working--I fire it up: my $25K stake is now at $101M--an inflation-rate not unlike Apple Corp.'s. Coincidence?

[Gonna be distressing when my early-'09 iMac gets executed]. But maybe 10-years--with a couple on SSD--ain't so bad in a Consumer-mad world whose sell-date isn't far behind ..I try to tell self. I can live with sequential 5-yo-gear trades; Doze will never be an option, so it's all good :-)
New OT: Good to see you back!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     New Mac Mini on the way from B&H - (Another Scott) - (2)
         A friend sent me an early Mini.. - (Ashton)
         OT: Good to see you back! -NT - (a6l6e6x)

Shpongle.
44 ms