Home

Let Them Eat Dirt:
The Hunt for Our Kids’ Missing Microbes

A new documentary based on the acclaimed book Let Them Eat Dirt
by B. Brett Finlay, PhD & Marie-Claire Arrieta, PhD

Allergies, obesity, asthma, intestinal disorders, auto-immune diseases, and diabetes are all on the rise, with some even doubling every ten years. New research points to changes in the complex ecosystem of microbes that live on and inside every one of us – our microbiota – as a major cause. But how could microorganisms that live in your gut affect the odds you’ll develop asthma, a disease of the lungs – or diabetes, a metabolic disorder?

Let Them Eat Dirt: The Hunt for Our Kids’ Missing Microbes connects with young families, researchers, and doctors to sleuth out what’s harming our microbiota and learn what we can do to reverse this dangerous trend.

Duration: 57:49

In the 150 years since we discovered that microbes cause infectious diseases, we've battled to keep them at bay. But a recent explosion of scientific knowledge has led to evidence that early exposure to these organisms is beneficial to our children's well-being. It turns out that our current emphasis on hyper-cleanliness and poor diets are taking a toll on our children's lifelong health.

Coming up tonight on KQED. Elsewhere?

Looking way-back: at the small 'ranch', S. of S.F. I've tried to estimate my %'playing ~age 4-6: in the dirt' ... and I can't. But assuredly my Overlords weren't pecksniffs or fops. Prolly I licked hands before/after some snacks, got dirty-faced enough: as just may help account for generally an ..infrequent few of even childhood passing-around of bad ju-ju.

In recent decades: maybe a (shopping-cart transmitted?) 'cold' at 3-5 year intervals, though not in past ~6 years IIRC. Flu-lik upsets? no more than a couple in last couple decades. Ergo my random-sample-of-one ... 100% Proves the thesis. That /OR: Cosmic Forces have decreed that I Am the new Anti--Drumpf (and this is my Reward?)

[This could not be, because of my Wonderfulness] /humility. Perhaps I've managed to intimidate the bugs, they jumped-ship and brought millions of the sniffling, snivelling folk with rampant Diabetes, junk-food-itis and the new mental scourges? Guess I'll punt on that sequence. I don't need another Nobel.

PS: do recall getting measles--boarding school proximity to other tykes; had Measles/didn't die--but surely received whatever 'immunity' one gets; no mumps (or pellagra) etc. Pity I wasn't keeping score. I never knew what Good-shit i was Missing, then. Carrion--sometimes it's A Feast.