IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Photos!
The Wraith Prism cooler that came packaged with the processor:

The gloriously ridiculous XFX Thicc III Ultra graphics card. This is a beast. It weighs 1.2kg, or just slightly less than a 2019 Macbook Air. It has 8GB of GDDR6 RAM, and the main GPU has 10 billion transistors on a 7nm process. That's. Fucking. Nuts.

The RGB-ness of the cooler in action. Sadly wasted, as my CoolerMaster Silencio 550 case is completely enclosed. In fact, I have to keep it hidden away from the locals, in case they start worshipping it.

The whole thing. I need to get some slightly longer power cables for a really neat cabling job. Particularly annoying is the GPU power cable - there's insufficient flexibility to let me fold it over. I'm going to investigate whether there's such a thing as a 90° PCI-E power cable.

Those of you who are particularly sharp-eyed (which is none of you, y'all are old farts :D) will notice that the new Arctic F12 fans are the wrong way round, with the airflow going back-to-front. This has been rectified.

ETA - note that right now, the Windows CPU pane doesn't report the current CPU speed correctly.

Ryzen Master, OTOH, does. And the 3700x clocks waaaaay down under low load:

Expand Edited by pwhysall Dec. 8, 2019, 02:48:55 AM EST
New Re: Photos!
As I understand it, Ryzen is all about the thermal throttling. If you have a hard time getting the clocks up, get a better cooler.

I'm getting a 3950x soon. I got a noctua air cooler for it because of that.
New Yeah, I'm open-minded on the cooling issue.
This case isn't really suitable for an AIO, so it'll be an air solution for me. I'll definitely consider a Noctua myself - especially now they do them in black, instead of that awful beige/brown combo!

The nice thing about the Prism is that the downward airflow also cools the VRMs, which is nice.
New Re: Yeah, I'm open-minded on the cooling issue.
You may also want to consider re-shrouding the Thicc card. Check out this review, paying particular attention to their comments on the card's thermals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwczmQNHVfo

The TL;DR: it's even worse than the reference design in its thermal behaviour.
New Nope
That video is about the Thicc ii. I have a Thicc iii.

A vs. video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vpx6ecvhVM
Expand Edited by pwhysall Dec. 8, 2019, 04:12:08 PM EST
New Peter.. Peter!?
*Moi ƒeares for thy PQ/Perspicuity Quotient..

The 'optics' of this behemoth are beyond Machiavellian --> unto (that earlier Trickster, Mesmer) and in the realm of Beelzebub; do you not see that this Meta-Monster machine is carefully crafted to ..eat your Brainz? To distract from the Prime Directive-at-Hand

..leaving you helpless to facilitate the extermination of such meat-only-Monsters as clearly aim to kill off The Re-Plebiscite--the only remaining SYA--from the local Trump-infestation (which has metastasized exactly as in the dis-US).

aka: IF... Blighty. Fucks. This. Up. and that jackal-in-Clown-clothing delivers a fatal-stab to BOTH Blighty and (your only Hope for necessarily enhanced Power/Control of the entire Continent's fate) ... that failure to Unite against Putin + ∑Fascists would be scabrous, would enhance the mind-fucking regime on THIS 'continent' too ..by osmosis. And Lemming-disease.

So then, Your 'Mission Impossible' assigned, is:
Get Out There and break-some heads (to let the sunshine in) ... and put this Devil-machine in the closet until your and our Nazis are buried next to the earlier departees. (Also: be sure to attach a pissoir adjacent to the Marker-stone of each perp, saves the greenery y'see)

That is all.

* This message sent via authority of The Cthulhu-Prime-Directive: that every sentient being must recognize that,
Mankind--such as this fucked-up species-IS--lacks Scale and Relativity 99% of the time,
(thus absolving moi from any hubris-cat-calls ... I wot). :-þ
New virtualization turned off?
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Yah, not re-enabled it in the bios yet.
     It's upgrade time - (pwhysall) - (11)
         Comparative benchmarks, for those curious about the performance uplift: - (pwhysall) - (2)
             Re: Comparative benchmarks, for those curious about the performance uplift: - (malraux) - (1)
                 Re: Comparative benchmarks, for those curious about the performance uplift: - (pwhysall)
         Photos! - (pwhysall) - (7)
             Re: Photos! - (jake123) - (3)
                 Yeah, I'm open-minded on the cooling issue. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Re: Yeah, I'm open-minded on the cooling issue. - (jake123) - (1)
                         Nope - (pwhysall)
             Peter.. Peter!? - (Ashton)
             virtualization turned off? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 Yah, not re-enabled it in the bios yet. -NT - (pwhysall)

That would make a great .sig!
122 ms