IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 3 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's upgrade time
It's overdue. Time for some more horses under that hood.

Old CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 hexacore, Wraith Spire cooler
New CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x octacore, Wraith Prism cooler

Old GPU: MSI NVidia GTX 1060 6GB
New GPU: XFX Thicc iii Ultra Radeon 5700xt 8GB

Old PSU: Corsair 600W non-modular
New PSU: Corsair 550W fully modular

Old case fans: 2x120mm CoolerMaster
New case fans: 2x120mm Arctic F12

Old molex power cables: Yes
New molex power cables: no, fuck you molex!

This is the first time in (counts on fingers) about fifteen years I've had an AMD/ATI graphics card on Windows, since I had a Dell OptiPlex with an Radeon 9800 Pro in it. My iMacs had (shitty mobile because fuck you, sez Apple) Radeon graphics cards, but they weren't great even when brand new. The 5700XT is about 5% shy of an Nvidia RTX 2070 Super in performance for about 75%-80% of the cost.
New Comparative benchmarks, for those curious about the performance uplift:
GPU: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-AMD-RX-5700-XT/3639vs4045
tl;dr: it's twice as fast at everything.
(Ignore the part about the reference card dropping frames; I haven't got one of those and it's not an issue for me)

CPU: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/4043vs3919
A more incremental increase here, but still 35%-ish is not to be sneezed at.
New Re: Comparative benchmarks, for those curious about the performance uplift:
We have an RTX 2060, not quite as fast as your new one. It's pretty good for a budget gaming PC.

CPU is i5 8400.

I've managed to get it to hitch up a bit with Skyrim on Ultra settings and a bunch of mods but it plays Destiny 2 just fine.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Re: Comparative benchmarks, for those curious about the performance uplift:
Destiny 2 is a remarkable engine. It looks great, has incredible lighting, and my current rig can run it at 1440p60 most of the time, although there are certain places where the frame rate reliably gets it in the shorts - most notably on Mercury, which is ironic as it's one of the smallest, simplest maps.

Borderlands 3, on the other hand? Yeah, I'm gonna overcome Gearbox's shit implementation of ue4 with sheer power.
New Photos!
The Wraith Prism cooler that came packaged with the processor:

The gloriously ridiculous XFX Thicc III Ultra graphics card. This is a beast. It weighs 1.2kg, or just slightly less than a 2019 Macbook Air. It has 8GB of GDDR6 RAM, and the main GPU has 10 billion transistors on a 7nm process. That's. Fucking. Nuts.

The RGB-ness of the cooler in action. Sadly wasted, as my CoolerMaster Silencio 550 case is completely enclosed. In fact, I have to keep it hidden away from the locals, in case they start worshipping it.

The whole thing. I need to get some slightly longer power cables for a really neat cabling job. Particularly annoying is the GPU power cable - there's insufficient flexibility to let me fold it over. I'm going to investigate whether there's such a thing as a 90° PCI-E power cable.

Those of you who are particularly sharp-eyed (which is none of you, y'all are old farts :D) will notice that the new Arctic F12 fans are the wrong way round, with the airflow going back-to-front. This has been rectified.

ETA - note that right now, the Windows CPU pane doesn't report the current CPU speed correctly.

Ryzen Master, OTOH, does. And the 3700x clocks waaaaay down under low load:

Expand Edited by pwhysall Dec. 8, 2019, 02:48:55 AM EST
New Re: Photos!
As I understand it, Ryzen is all about the thermal throttling. If you have a hard time getting the clocks up, get a better cooler.

I'm getting a 3950x soon. I got a noctua air cooler for it because of that.
New Yeah, I'm open-minded on the cooling issue.
This case isn't really suitable for an AIO, so it'll be an air solution for me. I'll definitely consider a Noctua myself - especially now they do them in black, instead of that awful beige/brown combo!

The nice thing about the Prism is that the downward airflow also cools the VRMs, which is nice.
New Re: Yeah, I'm open-minded on the cooling issue.
You may also want to consider re-shrouding the Thicc card. Check out this review, paying particular attention to their comments on the card's thermals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwczmQNHVfo

The TL;DR: it's even worse than the reference design in its thermal behaviour.
New Nope
That video is about the Thicc ii. I have a Thicc iii.

A vs. video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vpx6ecvhVM
Expand Edited by pwhysall Dec. 8, 2019, 04:12:08 PM EST
New Peter.. Peter!?
*Moi ƒeares for thy PQ/Perspicuity Quotient..

The 'optics' of this behemoth are beyond Machiavellian --> unto (that earlier Trickster, Mesmer) and in the realm of Beelzebub; do you not see that this Meta-Monster machine is carefully crafted to ..eat your Brainz? To distract from the Prime Directive-at-Hand

..leaving you helpless to facilitate the extermination of such meat-only-Monsters as clearly aim to kill off The Re-Plebiscite--the only remaining SYA--from the local Trump-infestation (which has metastasized exactly as in the dis-US).

aka: IF... Blighty. Fucks. This. Up. and that jackal-in-Clown-clothing delivers a fatal-stab to BOTH Blighty and (your only Hope for necessarily enhanced Power/Control of the entire Continent's fate) ... that failure to Unite against Putin + ∑Fascists would be scabrous, would enhance the mind-fucking regime on THIS 'continent' too ..by osmosis. And Lemming-disease.

So then, Your 'Mission Impossible' assigned, is:
Get Out There and break-some heads (to let the sunshine in) ... and put this Devil-machine in the closet until your and our Nazis are buried next to the earlier departees. (Also: be sure to attach a pissoir adjacent to the Marker-stone of each perp, saves the greenery y'see)

That is all.

* This message sent via authority of The Cthulhu-Prime-Directive: that every sentient being must recognize that,
Mankind--such as this fucked-up species-IS--lacks Scale and Relativity 99% of the time,
(thus absolving moi from any hubris-cat-calls ... I wot). :-þ
New virtualization turned off?
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Yah, not re-enabled it in the bios yet.
     It's upgrade time - (pwhysall) - (11)
         Comparative benchmarks, for those curious about the performance uplift: - (pwhysall) - (2)
             Re: Comparative benchmarks, for those curious about the performance uplift: - (malraux) - (1)
                 Re: Comparative benchmarks, for those curious about the performance uplift: - (pwhysall)
         Photos! - (pwhysall) - (7)
             Re: Photos! - (jake123) - (3)
                 Yeah, I'm open-minded on the cooling issue. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Re: Yeah, I'm open-minded on the cooling issue. - (jake123) - (1)
                         Nope - (pwhysall)
             Peter.. Peter!? - (Ashton)
             virtualization turned off? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 Yah, not re-enabled it in the bios yet. -NT - (pwhysall)

Now, with 10% more RAM!
120 ms