IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "The Case Against Boeing"
NewYorker

Ralph Nader is a friend of one victim's family.. Some Bizness-grade machinations are correlated with the truly-Drumpf-like attitude that Less Regulation is Moar$$ for the 1% lifetime hoarders and with input from an (also related) Engineer and Union member: concerning pre-Max buyout of McDonnell and a change to: Bizness-at-top shall replace the Engineering-steered philosophy of yore. Etc.

tl;dr So it's a vignette of what one victim, family ..world lost via Reaganesque casuistry of shred Gummint /let-Bizness-Rule, for a tl;dr ... and gives enough techno to clarify what it Means when a MBA-droid, all unawares of computing or F=MA ... instantly /abruptly replaces the governance of a Corp whose product is intensely-technical--and whose product risks lives on every flight.

This Tale--as can be understood sans calculus or matrices--should it receive sufficient ink: might make clearer to the masses that Bizness is the religio of the crass, of the formulaic thinker whose 'integrity' is that of Mammon, thus ethics-free. Though I think that message will find the most reception in the young, bright and pissed-off, those who today notice the Biz-reception(s) to Greta T. (along with responses of old-white-men who can't parse ~ 105ºF/RH=8%/wind gusts >45 mph) ... even when The Weatherman tells which way the wind is blowing.

Have a nice flight next; ongoing lottery: shall anyone-much fly again in a MAX? ... in our lifetimes.
New if the best and the brightest are programming the boing max
what are the chances that those designing our puter operated motor vehicles take as much care?
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Couple things
First, I think the whole point of the story is that Boeing stopped listening to the best and the brightest.

Second, because they stopped listening, when they were told about the problem instead of fixing it they offered to sell the fix for an additional fee.

Third, when there's a bug in a car the likely consequences are orders of magnitude smaller. Rather than a crash, you're more likely to get some bug reports, which you fix.

And finally, who said the best and brightest hadn't already chased stock options to Uber and Waymo?
--

Drew
New +5, they're all First-points.
New The best and brightest
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-28/boeing-s-737-max-software-outsourced-to-9-an-hour-engineers

apparently caused too much drag on the C-suite stock options

The Max software -- plagued by issues that could keep the planes grounded months longer after U.S. regulators this week revealed a new flaw -- was developed at a time Boeing was laying off experienced engineers and pressing suppliers to cut costs.

Increasingly, the iconic American planemaker and its subcontractors have relied on temporary workers making as little as $9 an hour to develop and test software, often from countries lacking a deep background in aerospace -- notably India.
New Look at that, I should be a pundit
--

Drew
New You are, Rabbit--you are
cuz the zeitgeist is largely incapable of [both logic + Reasoning]--on so many topics as need both; thus as in, "In the land of the blind the One-eyed are KIngs".

Secondly, 'Debate' used to be a class (at least in my H.S. and others) Am unsure if such-Class (or music, arts, Thinking-to-a-Purpose?) are available in many 2019 "classes". We're spoiled in our tiny sinecure/IWE as the jobs/professions of all demanded those attributes as Basic. {{sigh}}
aka Little-by-little it seeps in, that the essential difference 'twixt olden-days and Now-days is the obvious decline of this Basic!-"S.Q." ... Survival Quotient. I've encountered so many prime-examples--yout + 'adult'--of Low-SQ, yet there are Survivors (always good for endorphins: to spot). Ex:

a young woman (say 33-36?) working at a small market. I'd enquired about getting an "UpperCrust" {boffo-™) 'Amaretto Pumpkin Pie' and ordering same. She asked if I 'did science' maybe? I copped a plea ... since then we look for each other, share Pythonesque quips and ... I see that she's ready for: expansion towards --> better use of innate talent. Best kind of endorphins, as palpable-hope for the post-RWNJ-world ... if we're fucking-Lucky, next.

w.t.f. OK #Two: A 21 yo woman--doubtless suffering being a simply beautiful creature, thus all the BS as shall be directed in any next, notices I'm reading while waiting.. Wylie's "The Disappearance", (This in a small cafe overlooking same Creek as flows past moi). Asks something. Many conversations as I dropped in periodically for over a year, when she was to leave for a Washington (State) school. ∑: she would alter her course-list; maybe shall return to this job in-between; any 'education' was mutual. ✓

ie We're all Teachers now, if we but invest a few minutes of full-attention towards anyone expressing something more cerebral than, 'Have a Nice Day' ..whatever the pedestrian locale, eh? A few such 'intentional mind experiments' cause me to discern that there's more 'hunger' out there, seeking some exchange that is non-trivial ..than there is much awarenss of the Fact. (And it is reciprocal of course), always confirming that most of our stereotypes Suck--an inner dialogue which must accompany any application of Golden Rules, and like that. :-þ

Carrion ..sometimes it happens from lazy inAttention.
New Having recently started...
...consulting at a US Motor Company, I can attest that here in my little enclave, the programmers are trying their damnedest to produce high-quality software. They're also much more attuned to continual learning and self-and-team-improvement than in my previous multiple gigs in the financial services industry.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New well since you are there :-)
can we get a menu of "fiddly bits" that the home user can tune performance?
thank you
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New There you go again.. allus thinkin of somethin to Eat. ;^>
     "The Case Against Boeing" - (Ashton) - (9)
         if the best and the brightest are programming the boing max - (boxley) - (8)
             Couple things - (drook) - (1)
                 +5, they're all First-points. -NT - (Ashton)
             The best and brightest - (scoenye) - (2)
                 Look at that, I should be a pundit -NT - (drook) - (1)
                     You are, Rabbit--you are - (Ashton)
             Having recently started... - (mvitale) - (2)
                 well since you are there :-) - (boxley) - (1)
                     There you go again.. allus thinkin of somethin to Eat. ;^> -NT - (Ashton)